Need help

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I will try and explain this problem I have perfect?.I have a gen2 s1000rr,, I started it up today with no problems while showing to a few friends..from cold on the stand in a garage..everything was perfect until it hit around 60c then we heard a rattle like a cam chain rattle, after a rev up to limit it just went away..and never returned even after letting it warm until the fan kicked in as I wanted to make sure it was working (it?s a new purchase)?my friend who?s pretty clicked on thinks it?s because the cam tensioner lost pressure as it had been standing overnight and didn?t move and after the Rev up it pressured up and was fine?. And help would be great thanks

Your mates correct in as much as the the cam chain tensioner is oil operated, I wouldn't be overly concerned mate as long as the noise goes away after the bike starts to warm up.. you never mentioned how long it had been lying prior to firing it up.. the above is quite well documented on google/YT etc..

Sorry missed the started earlier bit [emoji28]...

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I started it and let it warm up once it got to 60c it made the noise that was continuous until I reved it up and it just went I let the bike warm up to 104 and everything was fine,, just want make sure,,, it was standing overnight a few days and I started it while it was on the stand and left it there on its side,, I heard ur not supposed to let them idle unnecessarily

I heard ur not supposed to let them idle unnecessarily

Never heard anyone mentioning that..

What's your location mate ?.. you need to remember the seasons too.. it was freezing up here today in Scotland, if the bikes in a cold garage the viscosity of the oil will increase therefore it won't flow as easily as when it's warm/hot, hence multigrade oils are used. I think your reading into it too much.. if your thinking oil pressure issues it would flag up on the dash immediately so I'd rule that out..

Some more info would be good..mileage, history !..

Last edited:
My friend said the same I?m thinking into it to much but Iv only just got it lol,, and while showing it to friends the noise started after us looking to see where we could hear it from say 20secons later I reved it up to mane 10k and it just disappeared and didn?t return even after letting it sit for a few mins I restarted it and it was fine,, it?s a 14 plate gen 2 14000miles

Thank feck you never said Ecuador..[emoji15]....Its probably just the cold mate...

Start planning on pimping it up, that'll take your mind off it.

Last edited:
I think it?s a combo of the cold ,left standing a few days ,old oil, stared on a stand and just let idle while leaned over on the opposite side to the tensioner,,think I?ll put here in for a service first thing

Agree with Stuart but, the tensioners can fail. So maybe consider it a consumable and have it replaced for peace of mind. I would not go with a 'race/manual' one, they need constant attention and fettling where the OEM auto adjusts (hence the oil) and overall is a lot less fuss.

Agree with Stuart but, the tensioners can fail. So maybe consider it a consumable and have it replaced for peace of mind. I would not go with a 'race/manual' one, they need constant attention and fettling where the OEM auto adjusts (hence the oil) and overall is a lot less fuss.
Good point ! Worth throwing it into a dealer get it serviced and a swap out..

Back