OEM Brake Fluid - Suitable For Track?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich8778

Reaction score
Morning all,

I've done a bit of work prepping the bike for track (2nd set of fairings fitted, crash protection, slicks brembo Z04 pads) and I'm interested to hear anyone's experience of using the OEM brake fluid on track. I'm on the standard Hayes calipers, with Brembo Z04's installed - in two minds about whether to swap out the fluid for something like Putoline URBF (which I used in my previous track bike).

Also, if I do swap it out, I've never done a fluid change on an ABS equipped bike before - is it going to be a nightmare?

Pic of track prep, just because:

attachment.php

If you?ve gone to all the expense of fitting Brembo Z04 brake pads then it makes no sense at all to stick with OEM brake fluid. Castrol (SRF) and Motul (RBF) both offer alternatives which are far better suited for track use.

If you?ve gone to all the expense of fitting Brembo Z04 brake pads then it makes no sense at all to stick with OEM brake fluid. Castrol (SRF) and Motul (RBF) both offer alternatives which are far better suited for track use.

Yep, you're right. Was only the unknown ABS element that was putting me off, but sounds like doesn't impact the process unless changing lines\calipers\MC etc. , so I'll stop being a fanny and crack on.

Yep, you're right. Was only the unknown ABS element that was putting me off, but sounds like doesn't impact the process unless changing lines\calipers\MC etc. , so I'll stop being a fanny and crack on.

I use RBF660 and it makes a significant improvement over stock. I personally feel if you are tracking your bike no matter the pace it should be changed to a fluid with a higher boiling point. it's an inexpensive mod with only positive effects.

Don't worry bleeding with the ABS system bleed as normal. If you find you have managed to get a small amount of air in the system, go for a ride with rain mode. Find a quiet road and grab a handful of brake to activate the ABS, that will push air through the system to the lever.

With brake fluid being hygroscopic it's important to refresh it often, especially when used for the track, so that whatever type you use it is working optimally.

Last edited:
Just to follow up, I did a front fluid change - swapped for Castrol SRF, then sent her off for 4 days at Almeria. Like you guys said, just as easy as changing the fluid on any other bike.

Bike was faultless throughout the trip, brakes were excellent. Surprised how eager the rear wheel was to come off the ground under hard braking at the end of the back straight - guess I need to focus on bracing myself better to keep some weight over the back.

Back