My HP4 is awesome

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellorp23

Reaction score
I took the HP4 (complete with mirrors and number plate) to Anglesey Circuit - Trac M?n, for a strangely sunny October Track Day. After a few early sessions on the old 4XV R1, until it warmed up a bit, I decided I'd give the HP4 a run.

Riding at probably 70% and following some of the quicker riders I was amazed at how safe and quick it was compared to the wobbly out of control antics of some of the other (track prepared !!!) bikes on circuit.
Easing onto the brakes with lots of margin for error, I was outbraked into the slower corners. But I wasn't bothered as I was more than comfortable going at the pace I was. Similarly winding on the power with the slightest fliker of the orange lights and the massive power wheelies as it got over 12k, were controllable without having to shut off. I felt totally in control with what felt like minor intervention from the electronics, rather than wacking the throttle open and letting the bike control me.

Being able to use bit more of the performance on a track showed just how little talent I have and how fantastic these bikes are, and what total overkill they are as a road bike. That of course doesn't stop you riding the thing on the road, but doing so is like tying it's arms and legs together and stopping it show you it's capabilities.

Do you need to spend zillions on this and that to have fun, IMO no. Do you need to bounce it off the rev limiter, no, and if you have that ability you should probably race the thing rather than play at trackdays. Just a decent set of tyres and a modicum of rider ability is all I need.

Track days aren't for everyone, neither is racing, but to experience the extreme ability of these bikes, the only safe place to try it, is a closed circuit.

Could I have gone faster, definitely. I was nowhere near close to my limits, which are a lot lower than those of the HP4.
Did I enjoy every lap. You bet I did, and surely that's the point of owning any motorcycle.

HP4 is perfect for track mate.. I used my Gen 1 ZX10R last year and my HP4 this year about 8 track days each.. night and day capability and stability wise.. there's no comparison with older bikes no matter how tricked up the R1 or ZX are..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Back