Switching to a RR at my age?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skymong

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've owned a S1R for a number of years now and the new model has come out, but looks fricking awful (headlight and rear integrated tail light). Because of that I'm looking at turning to either a Ducatti or a RR. I do about 12 - 14K miles per year so need a bike that will not only be reliable but also comfortable(ish) on trips into London and on motorway miles. I'm 48, couple of pounds overweight and have the back of a jellyfish. Essentially would you recommend a RR for the above, or stick with an upright bike?

Thanks ??

I'm 45 and a big of a 'comfy' build. Also suffer with a bad back. Rr is great for me except recent tour of Scotland and over doing the first day at 550 miles. I do commute on my a fair bit but not your mileage. Rr for me has been brilliant. Nice and comfy, I do now have a gel seat, and totally reliable.

You are doing higher miles though so any sports bike is going to be a lot more uncomfortable than a sit up. Have you considered the XR?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I'm 56, fat, unfit and have broken every bone in my body twice. The Gen 3 and 4 are easy to make comfortable. I'd fit a gel insert into the seat and it makes a world of difference.

Saying that I did 740 odd miles last weekend on the std seat. Numb bum every 150-170 miles which coincided with filling the fuel tank. J

I'm 56, fat, unfit and have broken every bone in my body twice. The Gen 3 and 4 are easy to make comfortable. I'd fit a gel insert into the seat and it makes a world of difference.

Saying that I did 740 odd miles last weekend on the std seat. Numb bum every 150-170 miles which coincided with filling the fuel tank. J

If you're getting 150-170 per tank maybe you should consider a Harley? :loyal:

Hi, nope it?s the flash with the full system. Same on my Gen 3. Big increase in tank mileage. 52 mile increase in tank range. Fill up and the mileage on the clocks says 176 Miles to go. J

Last edited:
im newly 50 and never have comfort issues, im shortish and have the lower thinner seat too. did 260 miles on sunday last and could have easily done it in reverse on same day. :)

I'm young, beautiful and tall-ish (2, err, 1 out of 3 ain't bad). Regularly commute into London (100 mile round trip) and find the bike comfortable, practical and perfect for cutting through traffic. Stick some lever guards and a top box on and it's perfect :D

Hi Steve, thanks for the response. Yeah I have considered the XR and GS, but for travelling into London'ium it's a pain for filtering hence the R was great and the Rt possibly the same.

Hi Jamie, thanks for the response. Like you my carcass isn't up to much (2 slipped discs) and yeah a replacement seat would be smart idea. I just wondered if bar risers (if there is such a thing for the RR) and lowering the foot pegs (again if it's possible) would make the journey's a bit more pain free?

Hi Sti, thanks for the response. I reckon if I went for a long ride on a weekend I'd probably be ok, it's just if I had to do it daily whether it would be possible? Also if the bike itself would be reliable for the miles I generally do.

Hi Katie, thanks for the response. I agree with the lever guards but not so sure about the top box, think it might tarnish the aesthetics of a new bike. I just wondered if bar risers (if there is such a thing for the RR) and lowering the foot pegs (again if it's possible) with a gel seat would make the journey's a bit more pain free?

Hi Katie, thanks for the response. I agree with the lever guards but not so sure about the top box, think it might tarnish the aesthetics of a new bike. I just wondered if bar risers (if there is such a thing for the RR) and lowering the foot pegs (again if it's possible) with a gel seat would make the journey's a bit more pain free?

Not sure about the add-ons but if you used a tank bag, that would be good for taking the pressure off your wrists when things are going slow?

Not sure about the add-ons but if you used a tank bag, that would be good for taking the pressure off your wrists when things are going slow?
I can definitely see the benefits of a tank bag, what set up are you using Katie?
In general though, I?ve even riding sports bikes for years and tbh there?s no way they could be described as comfortable! Absolutely fine on the twisties for however long you get, even motorways are bearable if you manage to keep the speed up, but traffic can be harsh on the wrists to say the least. I?m approaching 59 and think of it as a challenge! So why bother? Well for me the connection to the front wheel through body position is the best feedback I can get. Upright bikes just feel remote. The S1rr is also great on track, and probably the most accessible sports bike for those bordering arthritic..

You can get 20mm higher clip-ons by Gilles for the Gen 4; https://www.performanceparts-ltd.com/all-parts/gpl2-550-street-b

I?d look at those if I was do your type of riding mix to take the weight of your wrists for the slower speed commuting stuff.

I?m also 50 and had a 2019 R and moved to a Gen 4 RR recently (Having had both a Gen1 and Gen 3 RR in the past). I reckon an XR would probably suit your requirements better from a practical point of view - but you?ll miss out on the ShiftCam engine and telepathic handling and effortless lunacy the K67 delivers. I went sensible the last couple of years and just haven?t been able to scratch that itch with anything other than a full on sportsbike - you?ll be able to manage the slight discomfort easily - you won?t be able to deliver overall RR performance from a naked/adv or any similar bike without compromising what they are good at (fun at slow speed/practicality/touring etc). Once my knees eventually call time I?ll reconsider - but the RR is probably the most consummate performance all-rounder there is?

Just got mine 3 weeks ago and am 54 and 6-3ish.
Found it the most comfortable out of the bikes I tested, done 130 miles today and just a slightly numb arse

Hi Jamie, thanks for the response. Like you my carcass isn't up to much (2 slipped discs) and yeah a replacement seat would be smart idea. I just wondered if bar risers (if there is such a thing for the RR) and lowering the foot pegs (again if it's possible) would make the journey's a bit more pain free?

Sorry for the late reply I missed your question. Yep, Bars etc available for both. Funnily I'm just fitting a Gilles pair to my GEN4. I'll add the Gel insert to the seat over the winter. I couldn't do the mileage I do on either without them on any of my bikes.

IMG_6744.jpegIMG_6751.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Steve, thanks for the response. Yeah I have considered the XR and GS, but for travelling into London'ium it's a pain for filtering hence the R was great and the Rt possibly the same.

I have an RR and whlist I'd love to take it into the smoke once in a while (but don't as I have no where safe to leave it) my GS is better in everyway. So much more manoeuvrable when you need to squeeze round cars.

Let's be honest, you're not filtering through gaps a GS physically won't fit through on an RR anyway.

Back