Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching to a RR at my age?

Switching to a RR at my age?

Hi folks,

I've owned a S1R for a number of years now and the new model has come out, but looks fricking awful (headlight and rear integrated tail light). Because of that I'm looking at turning to either a Ducatti or a RR. I do about 12 - 14K miles per year so need a bike that will not only be reliable but also comfortable(ish) on trips into London and on motorway miles. I'm 48, couple of pounds overweight and have the back of a jellyfish. Essentially would you recommend a RR for the above, or stick with an upright bike?

Thanks ??

Riding
    S1000rr sport red

Re: Switching to a RR at my age?

I'm 45 and a big of a 'comfy' build. Also suffer with a bad back. Rr is great for me except recent tour of Scotland and over doing the first day at 550 miles. I do commute on my a fair bit but not your mileage. Rr for me has been brilliant. Nice and comfy, I do now have a gel seat, and totally reliable.

You are doing higher miles though so any sports bike is going to be a lot more uncomfortable than a sit up. Have you considered the XR?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER bananaman's Avatar
    Riding
    Gen4 msport

Hi ! I'm wrong side of 60, 6'2" . Only problem I have on journeys are knees....
    Speed doesnt kill, its how fast you stop.......

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bananaman For This Useful Post:

I'm 56, fat, unfit and have broken every bone in my body twice. The Gen 3 and 4 are easy to make comfortable. I'd fit a gel insert into the seat and it makes a world of difference.

Saying that I did 740 odd miles last weekend on the std seat. Numb bum every 150-170 miles which coincided with filling the fuel tank. J

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieMac For This Useful Post:

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER bananaman's Avatar
    Riding
    Gen4 msport

Quote Originally Posted by JamieMac View Post
    I'm 56, fat, unfit and have broken every bone in my body twice. The Gen 3 and 4 are easy to make comfortable. I'd fit a gel insert into the seat and it makes a world of difference.

Saying that I did 740 odd miles last weekend on the std seat. Numb bum every 150-170 miles which coincided with filling the fuel tank. J
    If you're getting 150-170 per tank maybe you should consider a Harley?
    Speed doesnt kill, its how fast you stop.......

Hi, nope it’s the flash with the full system. Same on my Gen 3. Big increase in tank mileage. 52 mile increase in tank range. Fill up and the mileage on the clocks says 176 Miles to go. J
    Last edited by JamieMac; 13th October 2021 at 04:39 PM.

im newly 50 and never have comfort issues, im shortish and have the lower thinner seat too. did 260 miles on sunday last and could have easily done it in reverse on same day.

Riding
    2018 S1000RR Sport

I'm young, beautiful and tall-ish (2, err, 1 out of 3 ain't bad). Regularly commute into London (100 mile round trip) and find the bike comfortable, practical and perfect for cutting through traffic. Stick some lever guards and a top box on and it's perfect

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Katie For This Useful Post:

Hi Steve, thanks for the response. Yeah I have considered the XR and GS, but for travelling into London'ium it's a pain for filtering hence the R was great and the Rt possibly the same.

Hi Jamie, thanks for the response. Like you my carcass isn't up to much (2 slipped discs) and yeah a replacement seat would be smart idea. I just wondered if bar risers (if there is such a thing for the RR) and lowering the foot pegs (again if it's possible) would make the journey's a bit more pain free?