Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switching to a RR at my age?

Re: Switching to a RR at my age?

Hi Sti, thanks for the response. I reckon if I went for a long ride on a weekend I'd probably be ok, it's just if I had to do it daily whether it would be possible? Also if the bike itself would be reliable for the miles I generally do.

Hi Katie, thanks for the response. I agree with the lever guards but not so sure about the top box, think it might tarnish the aesthetics of a new bike. I just wondered if bar risers (if there is such a thing for the RR) and lowering the foot pegs (again if it's possible) with a gel seat would make the journey's a bit more pain free?

Riding
    2018 S1000RR Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Skymong View Post
    Hi Katie, thanks for the response. I agree with the lever guards but not so sure about the top box, think it might tarnish the aesthetics of a new bike. I just wondered if bar risers (if there is such a thing for the RR) and lowering the foot pegs (again if it's possible) with a gel seat would make the journey's a bit more pain free?
    Not sure about the add-ons but if you used a tank bag, that would be good for taking the pressure off your wrists when things are going slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Not sure about the add-ons but if you used a tank bag, that would be good for taking the pressure off your wrists when things are going slow?
    I can definitely see the benefits of a tank bag, what set up are you using Katie?
    In general though, I’ve even riding sports bikes for years and tbh there’s no way they could be described as comfortable! Absolutely fine on the twisties for however long you get, even motorways are bearable if you manage to keep the speed up, but traffic can be harsh on the wrists to say the least. I’m approaching 59 and think of it as a challenge! So why bother? Well for me the connection to the front wheel through body position is the best feedback I can get. Upright bikes just feel remote. The S1rr is also great on track, and probably the most accessible sports bike for those bordering arthritic..

Riding
    2018 S1000RR Sport

I use a Bagster tank cover and bag, click on a go! For the H2SX I use a Givi tanklock bag but both are dead easy to access the fuel cap.

Riding
    2022 Mineral Grey

You can get 20mm higher clip-ons by Gilles for the Gen 4; https://www.performanceparts-ltd.com...2-550-street-b

I’d look at those if I was do your type of riding mix to take the weight of your wrists for the slower speed commuting stuff.

I’m also 50 and had a 2019 R and moved to a Gen 4 RR recently (Having had both a Gen1 and Gen 3 RR in the past). I reckon an XR would probably suit your requirements better from a practical point of view - but you’ll miss out on the ShiftCam engine and telepathic handling and effortless lunacy the K67 delivers. I went sensible the last couple of years and just haven’t been able to scratch that itch with anything other than a full on sportsbike - you’ll be able to manage the slight discomfort easily - you won’t be able to deliver overall RR performance from a naked/adv or any similar bike without compromising what they are good at (fun at slow speed/practicality/touring etc). Once my knees eventually call time I’ll reconsider - but the RR is probably the most consummate performance all-rounder there is…

7. The Following User Says Thank You to R41nD0g For This Useful Post:

Oli