Insurance - adding a bike mid policy

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
My mutli-bike policy (Gen 2, S1R) with BeMoto expires at the end of December. BeMoto have quoted ?300 to add my new Gen 4 until expiry of that policy, or ?550 to take out a separate 12 month policy with mirrored NCB. Hilariously, BMW Insurance have refused to quote on the bike at all, citing the value of the bike... I haven't slogged round comparison sites yet, just wondered if either the 1/2 policy approach has advantages.

In other words, would a 3 bike policy in December come out cheaper than the two policy approach starting now? Obviously the quotes are rider specific so no one can answer the question specifically. But thinking generally, is there any reason to think one approach is better than the other?

Cheers

Have you checked what a 3 bike policy starting tomorrow would cost?

You could take a separate 12 month, pay monthly and cancel it in December if you needed to bridge to a new 3 bike policy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's what I tried with BMW ins, (for 12 months) and it failed at the first hurdle because the lead bike is too expensive. I will try that one again with bemoto. However if memory serves insurance policies are front loaded so that you would lose most of the money if you cancelled after 3 months? I'm not sure how they would feel about two bikes being double insured (if I've understood you correctly).
However, nothing ventured nothing gained...

cheers

I meant if its going to be best to stick all 3 in a policy in Dec. You just need a single bike policy for the RR which you can pay in installments then cancel.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Your new Gen4 will likely be the principal bike come renewal as it's probably the biggest factor on premiums (because of the value) so even though it's ?300 now (pro-rata that will be more expensive for the next few months than taking the other policy) I would expect the total you pay come renewal in December for all 3 bikes to be less as a result and you'd get back the money you lose now. That would be my guess from the explanation BeMoto gave me with multi-bike policies.

All sorted.. as I have 9+ ncb I just binned my old insurance policy and took out a new one. Only 200 more than old one...even if I've lost a few weeks. Go BeMoto!!

It was a total PITA having insurance expire on boxing day worth it fir that alone...

You've been quiet Jeff, up for a ride soon?

Last edited:
All sorted.. as I have 9+ ncb I just binned my old insurance policy and took out a new one. Only 200 more than old one...even if I've lost a few weeks. Go BeMoto!!

It was a total PITA having insurance expire on boxing day worth it fir that alone...

You've been quiet Jeff, up for a ride soon?

Most definitely sir.

I got a GS adventure (1150) recently, so even if it rains I'm cool :mask:

Back