Buying guide / advice for Gen 1?s?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FBF

Reaction score
Hi all.
Thought I?d join up and see if any of you mind advising what all the common Gen 1 problems , advice , tips , performance mods are ?
I?m geeky , interested in all relevant info , mechanically , especially for performance calibration / sync tips for any routine maintenance , to keep the bike in perfect order and to improve , if that?s possible .

Thanks in advance .

i've had one for 7 years and it's now done 53000 miles, issues have been:
wiring loom chaffed between air box and frame causing clocks to go out about 18000 miles bmw fixed it
left hand switch gear trip reset failed around 36000
generator burnt out around 40000
clutch micro switch and arm return spring needed replacing
front wheel cracked at just under 50k.
it's never needed a shim changing (valve service at bmw, do the rest myself)
can't think of any other problems, the generator was the only thing that stopped it as the battery went flat

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks

i've had one for 7 years and it's now done 53000 miles, issues have been:
wiring loom chaffed between air box and frame causing clocks to go out about 18000 miles bmw fixed it
left hand switch gear trip reset failed around 36000
generator burnt out around 40000
clutch micro switch and arm return spring needed replacing
front wheel cracked at just under 50k.
it's never needed a shim changing (valve service at bmw, do the rest myself)
can't think of any other problems, the generator was the only thing that stopped it as the battery went flat
Perfect great info thank you

Welcome !!

Thanks

Welcome to the forum,
I had a Gen 1 for 7 years, only problem was the left hand switch gear replaced FOC 2 years after the warranty ran out.. No other issues what so ever, I just serviced the bike ontime and looked after the chain etc and never let me down.

Last edited:
Back