My 2020 S1000RR build

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24jseymour

Reaction score
Hi guys, I?m going to start a little thread here to keep track of some modifications made to my bike and hopefully pick up some valuable information along the way.

So? I bought a Hock Silver sport with performance pack from a chap up in Scotland. It was registered new in January21 and I bought it in June21 with 4300 miles on that he has accumulated through the lockdowns along the NC500.

The bike already had a few bits that he had fitted such as:
Michelin Power5?s
Motograffix Tank pad
BMW rad guards
R&G crash bungs
Stomp grips
PPF

461790a9f3d2a52e46ca5b5d73d600f7.jpg

eff20ad3fb89e57954379904405f465c.jpg

I have then went on to make it my own over the past couple of months by adding the following aftermarket parts:

Evotech tail tidy
7x5 numberplate
screenangels protector for the TFT display
TST Industries LED rear lights
Akrapovic Titanium headers
Akrapovic gp end can
M rear sets (anodised red)
M levers (anodised red)
Gilles leaver guards
Gilles reservoir caps (front/rear)
Gilles oil cap
Gilles chain adjusters
Gilles red yolk nut
Gilles rear axle nut
Gilles frame crash bungs
Gilles axel crash bobbins
Sprint filter PO8
Mra smoked screen
GB Racing engine covers
GB Racing paddock bobbins
Fortis quick release fuel cap

e3af9a82f97583cb8ccb16cf90bcf133.jpg

3c56f1d735e97c5a13205e09424aef1a.jpg

e1e4dbe5120d1d27e3d1a62d09187667.jpg

So there we had it, my ideal road bike was complete? I enjoyed it for a month or so and put on a further 800 miles before my friend who has a Gen2 talked me into doing a track day with him while we sat at Helmsley market square enjoying a coffee.
He races a CB500 with Thundersport GB and told me I?d really enjoy it so thought mehh.. go on then.

So he booked us onto Croft for August Friday 13th which I wasn?t best pleased about being my first day. What could go wrong ehh [emoji1787]

Anyway, got through noise testing with the OEM can fitted and borrowed a set of tyre warmers and stands off another friend to make me less nervous and look the part.
I knew the track at least as it?s my local and have done a few track days in various cars over the years.

What a day we had. Most fun I?ve had on a bike in a long time, great experience being able to use the brakes and the bike closer to it?s potential compared to the road.

c0e0d5ae8a2c748bf5340696a2245a39.jpg

de010562a055efd00916a077c481ce06.jpg

So that lead me onto hours of looking online at further upgrades and modifications I had no intention of doing initially.
So much so it?s lead me into buying a second S1000RR with only 400miles! It?s a CatN from a salvage auction and plan to fix it up over winter and to use more next year on trackdays! It will save me ever sending my straight one sliding down the tarmac and free up some funds to spend on fancy parts and bike time.

So I?ll be putting my bike back to standard and sadly selling it.

Building up the salvage one over winter with race fairings, new wheels, akrapovic evolution system, maybe suspension if the DDC is damaged and swap over some of the other tarty bits from bike to bike.

fa6aab75716162a7722cfd898b22fa26.jpg

It Should be getting delivered in next week so I will update with more pictures and info as I get my hands on it.

If there is any other track/race bike builds on here I?d love to take a look for some ideas and inspiration

Thanks guys, Josh

Nice body position !

I hope you will fix CatN bike and enjoy it on track !

Thank you, I look a lot faster than I was.
The guy behind me with green helmet is my friend I mentioned with the gen2 who I ride on the road with. He is currently leading the CB500 freshman championship so he came in the lower group for the day and sat behind me just getting used to his new R6 trackbike and coaching me on lines and body positions yeah. Oh? and how to hold the handlebar like a screwdriver in his words to look cool [emoji1787]

I also used to race motocross competitively up until about 3 years ago with the likes of Davey Todd who is doing well on the road bike scene these days in BSB etc, So I think that experience has helped me transition into learning what the bike is doing on tarmac much quicker than if I was a total newcomer to bikes.

following is a picture of him on said CB just about to go round the outside of me [emoji38]

4c70b6b3a3db4324e5a0739fbaed7609.jpg

Great write up and + 1 on that body position clocked it straight off. Interesting tale too, good colour choice, I like the Grey, pitty yt??our moving it on.

Croft is a good circuit and decent facilities the garages could do with more sockets tho and last time I was there (June) the showers were shite and ran stone lol... but we'll worth a trip from up here
..on that note how did you find Michelins (no problem) from what I can see [emoji3]. I coudnt get on with them on circuit, felt they had too much give when you were horsing on and felt greasy in places..

Cheers..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Great write up and some nice builds there...I look forward to your track build thread ;)

Great write up and + 1 on that body position clocked it straight off. Interesting tale too, good colour choice, I like the Grey, pitty yt??our moving it on.

Croft is a good circuit and decent facilities the garages could do with more sockets tho and last time I was there (June) the showers were shite and ran stone lol... but we'll worth a trip from up here
..on that note how did you find Michelins (no problem) from what I can see [emoji3]. I coudnt get on with them on circuit, felt they had too much give when you were horsing on and felt greasy in places..

Cheers..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Thanks, but yeah I got on ok with them to be honest, loved them on the road and on track I had traction control set pretty high so I could feel that limiting power if I tried to wind on the throttle too fast out of corners etc so probably never let me get close enough to the tyre limits.

Where did you salvage from? I've been thinking about going this route? Any good sites?

Hi there, I got it from Surrey motorcycle salvage, they have a load of auctions on eBay it would just be a matter of waiting for one to pop up.

Those red anodised rear sets and levers look like the ones a mate sold not to long ago. That ain?t his full akro is it? Looks like all his bits reading your list

Last edited:
Those red anodised rear sets and levers look like the ones a mate sold not to long ago. That ain?t his full akro is it? Looks like all his bits reading your list

Yeah the rearsets and levers and the all the Gilles stuff was from Jamie! He was parting his bike out at just the right time for me. [emoji3]

Yeah the rearsets and levers and the all the Gilles stuff was from Jamie! He was parting his bike out at just the right time for me. [emoji3]

Thought that was his stuff, really good mate of mine he was absolutely gutted he had to change bikes after a few months due to health. All that came of the red RR, I spent hours fitting all those bits then had to remove them what a pain
159363749ad7818c005ff8a7813619a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Little update today,
The Salvage bike was delivered early last week but haven?t had time to give it a good look over until this morning.
Also when it was delivered I noticed one of the panels had been painted, Apparently they actually started to repair the bike but then some parts needed were on back order with no definitive delivery so they basically ended up having to write it off and pay the bloke out for a total loss because they couldn?t leave him with no bike for that long.
Along with the frame having a little scuff around the engine bolt so the guy wanted a brand new frame over a repair. as expected on a 400 mile bike I suppose! I?d be the same.

So there we have it, exited to start getting stuck into it and parts swapped over

89f1286e9753041ef430c3eb36b30fdf.jpg

1a367ff1928d99d6742ce006a56ede55.jpg

d39954688966c4cf4286be313e668cb6.jpg

536d0827ca44bb804368ac6a97837ee4.jpg

1bf01534df7a8c498ce216def09b6680.jpg

So my other bike was returned to standard and has now been sold, To Kirk who has popped up on the forum and added a whole host of upgrades right off the bat so be sure to keep tabs on that!

I had a further couple of hours spare this afternoon to crack on with the new bike,
I have removed all the fairings, headlights, oem headers etc.
Fitted some of the parts from the old bike such as levers, rearsets, reservoir caps and fuel cap so on?

f71d4ac836f4eef7b10df3561806af47.jpg

So it?s now ready to test fit the Alpha Racing carbon fibre fairings which will then be sent off for the decals and finish the paint.
The full tank cover is from Adam at Fortis racing.

929485afd15e67970e204aec9467d79d.jpg

f043791f880e78f8ae067ede7541697c.jpg

Then I also have a Full Akrapovic system sat on the sidelines from Phil at Crowe performance along with a cheeky remap planned in the new year.

The main thing that will be holding the bike back from completion of the running in miles is the delivery of a set of Dymag UP7X which should be here before Christmas hopefully.

Further things I?m looking into is a 16/44 520 conversion, M fitment brake disks to go on the Dymags and the Alpha SAS/Pair delete.

Having the fairing on makes such a big difference to the look of the bike. Must be nice for you to picture what the finished version will be like

Hello 24jseymour
i crashed my 2015 rr in August and it ended up in egham,I was just wondering if the one that you bought has the registration that ends pgx.

Hello 24jseymour
i crashed my 2015 rr in August and it ended up in egham,I was just wondering if the one that you bought has the registration that ends pgx.

Hey, oh not good, hope you got off lightly and got another bike sorted.
However no my registration doesn?t end in those letters. This one is a 2020 :)

Current state of affairs in the garage.
I?ve put the bike up on a car ramp in a very sketchy way to enable me to fit the headers and test fit the new Dymag UP7X wheels! Also picked up a second set of wheels in the form of OE Forged with fancy floating disks and V02 slicks to try.

9dd44bafd558063a439f5befe6a66f7b.jpg

735fd2930bdae7cd5721ce1884a77687.jpg

Awaiting delivery of some Alpha racing blanks to get rid of the SAS system and intake flaps etc then hopefully be on its way to Crowe performance over the next couple of months for its remap.

Back