Don't mount iPhones to Motorbikes says Apple

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I think there have been threads about this, based on user experience, but here's the official line from Apple...

IPhone owners should beware picking up bad vibrations from powerful motorbikes, as they may damage camera systems, Apple has said.

The technology giant published a warning iPhones should not be attached to powerful bikes, in a support document spotted by MacRumors.

Engine vibrations can harm phones' optical-image stabilisation or closed-loop autofocus systems, it says.

Full article at https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58507764

Why would you want to?

Your bike has a SatNav, a proper TomTom is the best.

You don?t need to be distracted by the screen livening up because of an email or text etc.

You can tell Siri to do anything through your intercom.

Anyway our bikes don?t vibrate? ;)

Enough Said?. J

Last edited:
Turn you phone off and stick it in your pocket. Keep your eyes on the road. If you can't navigate by road signs you shouldn't have a licence

Why would you want to?

Your bike has a SatNav, a proper TomTom is the best.

You don?t need to be distracted by the screen livening up because of an email or text etc.

You can tell Siri to do anything through your intercom.

Anyway our bikes don?t vibrate? ;)

Enough Said?. J
Tomtom ? What? I thought it died in 2006.

There is nothing better than Google maps in 2021

Never thought this post would be so devisive lol. I've never liked the idea of using my phone as a Sat Nav, indeed I just bought a new sat nav... absolute PITA that they've changed the power connection vs old Navigator which I had, but I'm getting used to Ram mounts....

Google maps have all above.
Google maps routing sucks. Its not configurable without a serious amount of toil, and even then it fights to the death to send you on the route you didn't want. If I was road riding *for fun* more I wouldn't use it.

Wrt apple's statement nice cop out on the warranty for their ?1200 devices.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Google maps routing sucks. Its not configurable without a serious amount of toil, and even then it fights to the death to send you on the route you didn't want. If I was road riding *for fun* more I wouldn't use it.

Wrt apple's statement nice cop out on the warranty for their ?1200 devices.

Yea, I hate that feature too.

On positive side, their live traffic thing works excellent, I found it to be very precise

Yea, I hate that feature too.

On positive side, their live traffic thing works excellent, I found it to be very precise
Yeah, it does, but equally as a biker traffic seldom matters so whilst its rerouting every 500 yards I end up ploughing on and ignoring it! Which probably confuses its modelling for traffic flow.
It just needs a motorbike mode...

Yeah, it does, but equally as a biker traffic seldom matters so whilst its rerouting every 500 yards I end up ploughing on and ignoring it! Which probably confuses its modelling for traffic flow.
It just needs a motorbike mode...

You would be surprised but Germans and Swiss bikers love to stand in traffic jams together with the cars ! It's bizzaare.

But yes, agree on motorbike mode. This will never happen tho, as filtering is illegal in 49 states.

I?ve always mounted iPhones to use Waze as like the police and hazard reporting features.

Quadlock have an accessory vibration damper, which from what I?ve read seems to work quite well. I use this setup on a 2020 XR, without issue, but then again I?m still on an iPhone X which doesn?t have optical image stabilisation.

In this day and age, I don?t see why dedicated SatNav?s are still a thing, I mean why TomTom have an official app and don?t offer the TomTom Rider features as optional subscription extras is beyond me

Last edited:
I?ve always mounted iPhones to use Waze as like the police and hazard reporting features.

Quadlock have an accessory vibration damper, which from what I?ve read seems to work quite well. I use this setup on a 2020 XR, without issue, but then again I?m still on an iPhone X which doesn?t have optical image stabilisation.

In this day and age, I don?t see why dedicated SatNav?s are still a thing, I mean why TomTom have an official app and don?t offer the TomTom Rider features as optional subscription extras is beyond me
Not to say TomTom and Garmin are 20 years behind technology wise.

Back