Battery and auto blipper

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianbullsey

Reaction score
Disappointed to have to say the local BMW dealer who is supposed to be checking my 2020 Gen 4RR is the most unprofessional and uncooperative main dealer I've ever known. The auto blipper works intermittently (track use only for the bike) the dealer told me it worked fine between the forecourt and the garage [emoji53] all of 40m if that. They've also said the lithium battery will last no longer than 3 days on a charge. I'd welcome your comments.

If the bike hasn't got a Tracker or Alarm, it should last 10-14 days without a trickle charger depending on temperature. J

It'll still drain the battery. Sorry I don't know about removing it. Over winter I'll be stripping my bike so i'll take a look.

I've kept all my bikes on trickles chargers since they first came out. Probably late 80's. Saves any worries.

I've had a problem with the quick shifter on my 2020 gen4. it intermittently either is difficult to downshift 3 to 2 and 2 to 1, or dips and then surges when going 5 to 6. My dealer has had it three times now. The last time they said they'd updated with latest software and re-programmed it and asked me to try that, but other than that there is nothing more they will do - for now. I've only ridden a 100 miles or so, and so far all's good (fingers crossed). However, they said they would not exchange under warrenty as they have not experienced the problems I recount to them. Only if they can confirm my problems by having the bike until it does it would they ask BMW for an exchange. Problem is (or was?!) that it's intermittent!!! Will continue to monitor the situation!
I had the gen3 for 5 years and the quick shifter on that was always sublime

Ian, there's many a thread on this. Once everything has been checked and set, it works perfectly every time on a Gen 3 or 4.

From memory: someone else may chime in with other bits I've forgotten.

1. Set Chain Tension properly. All new chains including the M Endurance chain stretches at the beginning.
2. The Gen 4 has a cover over the clutch switch so that shouldn't be an issue. Gen 3 it was a problem when people changed levers.
3. The Clutch Cable free play at the lever is practically zero when cold, check this, clearance is created as the engine warms. Again the cable will stretch if the bike is relatively new. Even though you aren't using the clutch lever, the micro switches need to be in the correct place i.e closed.
4. You can train the Gearbox: Start engine in Neutral on a rear paddock stand. Leave in neutral for 10s ie count ' 1 one Thousand ' etc, using the clutch put it in first and let the clutch out for 10s, then 2nd, 3rd 4th, 5th, 6th gear with 10s in between and using clutch. No need to rev. Back down to first, then put it Neutral key off.

Disappointed to have to say the local BMW dealer who is supposed to be checking my 2020 Gen 4RR is the most unprofessional and uncooperative main dealer I've ever known. The auto blipper works intermittently (track use only for the bike) the dealer told me it worked fine between the forecourt and the garage [emoji53] all of 40m if that. They've also said the lithium battery will last no longer than 3 days on a charge. I'd welcome your comments.
I've had my gen4 since December '19, no issues with lithium battery at all. My bike has been in all sort of stillages un-used for up to 1 month, no issues at all, haven't even charged it.

Thanks for the unbelievably informative replies. I'll chat with Jeffries in Shipley when I drop it off. I won't ever go back to the local dealer in Boldon Tyne and Wear
Ian

Thanks for the unbelievably informative replies. I'll chat with Jeffries in Shipley when I drop it off. I won't ever go back to the local dealer in Boldon Tyne and Wear
Ian
The blipper, I've only really used OEM on Gen3, didn't really have issues with it. It can be tentative but okay.

Make sure it's mounted 90 degrees on both sides. This is the most common mistake to make.

Ian, there's many a thread on this. Once everything has been checked and set, it works perfectly every time on a Gen 3 or 4.

From memory: someone else may chime in with other bits I've forgotten.

1. Set Chain Tension properly. All new chains including the M Endurance chain stretches at the beginning.
2. The Gen 4 has a cover over the clutch switch so that shouldn't be an issue. Gen 3 it was a problem when people changed levers.
3. The Clutch Cable free play at the lever is practically zero when cold, check this, clearance is created as the engine warms. Again the cable will stretch if the bike is relatively new. Even though you aren't using the clutch lever, the micro switches need to be in the correct place i.e closed.
4. You can train the Gearbox: Start engine in Neutral on a rear paddock stand. Leave in neutral for 10s ie count ' 1 one Thousand ' etc, using the clutch put it in first and let the clutch out for 10s, then 2nd, 3rd 4th, 5th, 6th gear with 10s in between and using clutch. No need to rev. Back down to first, then put it Neutral key off.

(On the Gen3) For 4 you have to clear the adaptions and the gear indicator flashes whilst until it's set then you do the next one. I managed this on a sighting lap at Donny once!

Back