Insurance Quotation Questions

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I?m going through the usual ball ache of comparing car quotes for the next year (with bikes coming round again soon).

I haven?t made a claim in 17 years, but most insurance companies will only confirm you have ?9+? years NCB when you move on each year, so that?s all I can ?prove?. Never realised until now that they were costing us money. Feels a little dishonest to me, thoughts?

Next up, my job title is common to almost all insurance search engines (Product Manager in computer software industry)? this year?s best quote has come from a company where the search engine doesn?t recognise this very generic job title. There are 3 job titles that come ?close? (their words not mine), and they have invited me to choose any of them, but are at great pains to say they are not advising me to go one way or t?other ? clearly if it makes no difference then I would choose the cheapest? but if I have to claim, I?m wondering if that would affect me ? anyone got any experience of this?

Neither of these points make a great amount of difference to my quote, but as with all things insurance, you always get the feeling things are stacked against you.

Cheers

My renewal for the car is up ?70 which seems drastic when it was a ?250 policy prior. But I can't beat it online.

I don't get the need to pidgeon hole people under titles. Might as well ask education level too. And theres never a section for other licenses/training.

Whole system is borked.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

That's unfortunate Alex. I was annoyed when premiums didn't go down last year, given we couldn't use our vehicles. I have seen some press articles recently saying that the effect was finally filtering through, not that I saw it in my renewal quote which was 'only' up a tenner, not that I'll be taking that. I am looking at a ?90-130 reduction with this quote depending on the answers to the two Qs I outlined. It's that range of ?40 on just those two questions that feels like they are making the profit on our uncertainty, or will absolutely **** us given the chance during, a claim.

The roles/employment question is because insurers have a risk profile for all the jobs in the list you are asked to choose from, and undoubtedly some actuary somewhere has worked out that being a secretary has a different risk to making a claim than being a shelf stacker and so on.

In 't old days I seem to remember that the only employment questions to do with insurance was if you were a footballer/professional sportsperson or a celebrity. These days everyone who has an iphone and an insta account thinks they are a celebrity so that must make risk assessment a bit harder (or put them all down as utter morons).

I got a nice email from LV the other week saying they wouldn't reinsure my RR again (no claims ever, 9+ years NCB, tracker, parked off road etc) because they are getting nicked more, apparently. Gotta love the insurance industry, the only thing that is assured is they make money. My mate had the same crap last year from the same company on his RR and went through a comparison site and guess who ended up as the underwriter?

The roles/employment question is because insurers have a risk profile for all the jobs in the list you are asked to choose from, and undoubtedly some actuary somewhere has worked out that being a secretary has a different risk to making a claim than being a shelf stacker and so on.

Exactly why I am worried about getting it wrong and them trying to weasel out of things...

The 9 years NCB is a comparison website thing, it's not obvious that when you put in your NCB, it drops it to 9 Years. You can send in proof that you haven't had any claims and the insurance company will amend it. The max wall on any insurance company is 20 years NCB though.

I work in TV but never mention that as you are loaded massively in case you have Tom Cruise in your car.... honestly. Also never say you're retired. Massive loading for that as they think you're always out site seeing. If you can say you're a company director that lessens it as they think you do f*&k all, all day which is probably true.

My mate had the same crap last year from the same company on his RR and went through a comparison site and guess who ended up as the underwriter?

I've had that a few times... get a price on a comparison website for my current insurer and ring them with their renewal quote being more expensive and they say they can't do anything to lessen the price and I say well online it's "so & so" less and they can look the online quote up immediately and drop the price. No gain in being a loyal customer.

It's like those stupid energy meters that we all spent ?11,000,000,000 i.e Billions and if you change suppliers, the new supplier can't read them. Madness!

I've had that a few times... get a price on a comparison website for my current insurer and ring them with their renewal quote being more expensive and they say they can't do anything to lessen the price and I say well online it's "so & so" less and they can look the online quote up immediately and drop the price. No gain in being a loyal customer.

It's like those stupid energy meters that we all spent ?11,000,000,000 i.e Billions and if you change suppliers, the new supplier can't read them. Madness!
Worked for me 3 times

Just looked up my multi-bike insurance certificate and it shows :

Insurance History / No Claims Discount (NCD)
Number of Years No Claims Discount
(If you have declared previous NCD we will ask
for evidence)

14 years ncd, Bemoto have always seem professional and understanding to me.

As for car insurance thats a joke every year, this year I had a quote provided, but 2 weeks later it wasn't valid and I had to pay a hell of lot more for insurance something like ?130 extra!

My renewal from Bemoto came through for my Gen 4 and HP4 840quid ! Wtf .. I've been that busy in work I've done nothing about it what a pain in the ass having to go through all the comparison shit again

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I?ve just insured my Gen 4 and BeMoto were the lease expensive and the only ones that actually no what you?re talking about. The main cost factor is your Job Title, then where it?s parked, how many miles per year, insurers don?t even count the BMW Immobiliser or alarm for discount so any Thatcham security, you have to have a subscription to the tracker etc. Mine was ?534 FC just for the Gen 4, all 4 of my other bikes are only ?465 FC together. It?s the value that?s the biggest stumbling block. J

My 2 pence...
Car insurance - Always get a confused dot com comparison at time of renewal....then approach your existing insurer.
I ended up by pure fluke when I switched my vw caravelle to admiral...ended with a multi car policy for wife, daughter and house insurance. And saved hundreds.

Bike insurance is another matter...got raped first year on the gen 4 (no ncb) ...2600 for 12 months. What opened my eyes was friends who had only passed this year buying fireblades and XR's....both having policies for 7-800 quid so three weeks prior to my renewal I got an online quote. ?440 with 1 year NCB. amazing i thought...however renewal came round at 700. Quick call in and they managed to honour the quote at beginning of month. Said do i wanna set it up now....mentioned I'm on 'a forum' and wanted to check with forum sponsor and guess what the price came down even more....so i signed up lol
Play them at their own game. Shop around. Be prepared to say no and check out alternatives.

They've came back at 640 odd, so it's only 200 extra and I can still insure the HP4.. Yea I'll jump online over the weekend and get a comparison

My Gen 3 was ?234.06 Fully Comp with all the BeMoto bells and whistles. The driving factors are a) accidents and convictions b) Area, c) occupation d) overnight security,e) mileage f) age. I am saying this from my experience as an insurance broker in my past life!! :peaceful:

A and B hmmm not great.... I had two car Bumps in 2019 and my last conviction SP30 was same year

C. garage attached to house

D. Company Director..

Mileage I've never done less in the last 2 seasons.. this year was about 2k

Think it's top heavy even for a new bike..

In all honesty i cant fault Bemoto, cheapest quote compared to comparisons sites each year for the last 3 years then when i bought the MT10 instead of a multi-bike policy they mimicked my existing policy on the Gen3 and beat any other comparison site again!!!! maybe being an old fucker finally helps to get a good deal :)

What's the tracker name on the new Thous I'm doing online quotes and there's loads of Datatool models..anyone know

Done a comparison quote for my Gen 4.. least expensive with "similar" cover... excluding excesses..

MCE... ?494.00..

Includes

Helmet and Leathers

Personal Injury

Legal Expenses

I'm quite a loyal customer and prefer to stick with the same insurer Y on Y .. I feel it stands you on better ground should you make a claim, though that's more in my head than reality..

Bemotos excesses (lower) and all round covers (higher) and I've no doubt would be easier to deal with in the event of a claim... but almost 200 quid more, I'll bell them tomorrow and see if they can sharpen their pencil a bit..

Last edited:
Back