Oled v Qled v Nano Cell

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
I'm going to upgrade my TV.. seen some Oled TVs in Curry's and the picture quality is absolutely astonishing..

Been digging around tonight and for my moderate budget it leads me into these other formats and 8k options... anyone on here bought an Oled ?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

OLED is the best modern tech for picture clarity and blacker blacks, like the old Pioneer plasmas without the energy draw. I still have a 1080p Panasonic Plasma that was second only to thise Pioneers.

There have been some issues though with OLED panels, they can be a bit hit n miss. LG invested first and most in the tech. Theirs are the nost mature. But the TV operating system isn't the best by all accounts. The Sony's are making a really strong case to be bought in '21. I'd get a few mags with reviews...

Make sure its capable of a high refresh rate >100hz

The other techs are all LED based trying to ape the quality of the OLED but ultimately they are not it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for that Alex.. yea I'm heading towards an Oled.. there's also now another level of Oled with a stronger back-light, why is it this difficult.. I also read up on the OS for each Manufacturer which was interesting.. I'll be doing some more digging later after I prep my van for Knockhill tomorrow, I'll nip into WH Smith and pick up a couple of mags like you say.

There a Samsung 8k that falls in the price bracket.. I fancy a 75/77 but feel it may be a little on the big side.. the screen is something like 1.2 metres in length..so a 65" could be optimum plus their around 1500 cheaper...

OLED is the best modern tech for picture clarity and blacker blacks, like the old Pioneer plasmas without the energy draw. I still have a 1080p Panasonic Plasma that was second only to thise Pioneers.

There have been some issues though with OLED panels, they can be a bit hit n miss. LG invested first and most in the tech. Theirs are the nost mature. But the TV operating system isn't the best by all accounts. The Sony's are making a really strong case to be bought in '21. I'd get a few mags with reviews...

Make sure its capable of a high refresh rate >100hz

The other techs are all LED based trying to ape the quality of the OLED but ultimately they are not it.

+1 on all of this!

Thanks for that Alex.. yea I'm heading towards an Oled.. there's also now another level of Oled with a stronger back-light, why is it this difficult.. I also read up on the OS for each Manufacturer which was interesting.. I'll be doing some more digging later after I prep my van for Knockhill tomorrow, I'll nip into WH Smith and pick up a couple of mags like you say.

There a Samsung 8k that falls in the price bracket.. I fancy a 75/77 but feel it may be a little on the big side.. the screen is something like 1.2 metres in length..so a 65" could be optimum plus their around 1500 cheaper...

I think you?re much better off going for a larger screen size 4K OLED, than 8K in a smaller screen size.

There?s virtually nothing that you can watch in 8K at present.

OLED is the best technology and LG is the best product out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtve0u3GJ9Y

https://www.youtube.com/c/hdtvtest/videos

LG C1 is one of the best panels right now

I?ve got an LG CX, based off Vincent at HDTVtest?s videos.
Superb quality, though as Alex says the OS is a bit hit n miss at times.

When it comes to TV?s, I literally take what Vincent says as gospel lol

I was considering 8k for future proofing, my AV/Receiver would likely need to be changed when the time is right..

I generally upgrade every 5 years LG is now offering a 5 year warranty on these models on the screen as is Samsung

Went into WH Smith in Glasgow... no review mags for TVs and nothing in What HiFi and all the rest of them ...

Last edited:
Hmm, I have a few flavours of Sony Bravias and an LG. Hate the LG OS and interoperability with hdmi devices.

would not buy another LG based on my experience.

seem to recall LG or someone make the actual screens for most manufacturers anyways.

one of the Sonys is a 65? and its big. Unless you have a very big room and you want to sit a fair distance away from the screen anything bigger is going to be a bit odd. For reference my 65? is currently about 4 meters away from where we sit and its about right. In the last house it was about 3 meters and was like being in a cinema. Suppose it depends on the space you have and how much you want the screen to dominate the room.

My screen size versus the room dimensions and seating position makes zero sense and does not equate in this instance Soof.. I've Samsung 55" currently and feel its just too shy of the optimum size.

My neighbour bought a 70" last month and her place is identical to mine, I'm going to nip in and look it over..common sense says a 65" is more appropriate.. might settle on that.. there's a fair reduction in costs too...

Ok.. no point in 8k as we still mostly get 1080p, plus you would struggle to see the difference in 8k Vs 4k watching TV.

If you game on your TV then you want a high refresh rate otherwise 60hz or fps will do.

Oled is amazing and if you can afford it go for it but be aware of burn in.

Burn in is real and it will happen regardless of what the manufacturer says.

I have just bought a very expensive GPU for my pc... like forged wheels money ?. Right now and for the next 6-10 years 8k is a sales topic.

I have just bought a very expensive GPU for my pc... like forged wheels money ?. Right now and for the next 6-10 years 8k is a sales topic.

Did well to find a GPU for sale. Rockin [emoji237] [emoji90]

High refresh is good for sports too, no?

100hz refresh rate is common place.. most of these high end TVs are 120 hz.

I've now decided to go for a 65"..75s and above are just too big for my lounge plus the costs are considerably higher,

My neighbours 71" I felt was just too big for her lounge, she's got it built into a media wall and it's right in tour face...it's just a basic High Def LED... U.S Golf was on and the picture was totally underwhelming..my Samsung's picture is better.

Ok.. no point in 8k as we still mostly get 1080p, plus you would struggle to see the difference in 8k Vs 4k watching TV.

If you game on your TV then you want a high refresh rate otherwise 60hz or fps will do.

Oled is amazing and if you can afford it go for it but be aware of burn in.

Burn in is real and it will happen regardless of what the manufacturer says.

5-10 years is a lifetime in tech terms, but your right with regard to the sales angle.. refresh rates are also subjective and manipulated by manufacturers... as far as burn goes a 5 year panel warranty is a must as its as long as I'll likely keep the TV before new tech have me upgrading again... BTW my neighbours is a 71" panel...lol..I measured it, what an odd size [emoji848]

Last edited:
+1 on the OLED, but 8K... no one in the industry is shooting 8K even if they shot in 35mm film, it's realistically only 4k. It's like billions of colours, the human eye can't see billions of colours, it's just marketing. The only thing with OLED, don't leave your screen paused or showing 'no signal' for hours as it 'burns' in.

I recently put my 2001 Pioneer plasm in a skip as I couldn't connect anything to it (No HDMI)..... I had to shut my eyes as it did it. ?7700 back then.

I recently put my 2001 Pioneer plasm in a skip as I couldn't connect anything to it (No HDMI)..... I had to shut my eyes as it did it. ?7700 back then.

I kept my Panny Plasma until it died as the picture was superb ........ would have bought another if they were still available as they dealt with sport so well. The Panny OLED that replaced it is pretty good though.

The first of any technology is always the best as the manufacturers take a massive loss to promote it. Sony lost $1250 on every Playstation that had Blu-Ray to promote the tech. My original 1994 DVD player still blows the shit out of any current Blu-Ray player playing a DVD. J

I have a LG OLED 4k picture is stunning far superior than others but didn't see the point of a 8k as hardly any true 4k broadcasts let alone 8k

I have an antique LG plasma (mother in-law bought it when she got made redundant from Woolworths!) Picture is great, but it time for a new one.

I have my heart set on the Sony a90j, main thing that attracts me to the Sony, is the sound quality, and being able to do away with my sound bar. From the reading I've done, it sounds like most oled screens are manufactured by LG, then sold to the likes of Sony.

Only reason I haven't bought one yet is there licencing issues for catch up, so far still can't get iPlayer without a fire stick type player.

Back