Slipping at lean?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toiletduck

Reaction score
Heyhey, apologies for not being active recently - went out for a ride today and a couple of things happened that I figured I'd ask here about.

I have Michelin Pilot Road 5 tyres which have done maybe 1 or 2k miles total.

Today wasn't hot, but it wasn't cold either - on a very slow corner in a one way system I banked the bike over in 1st gear (travelling around 20mph) and the front felt like it went from under me. I'm not sure exactly what I did but there was a bit of a collection and I gathered it up. It wasn't caused by throttle input I don't think, I had very consistent throttle and it didn't feel like I could have jerked it on. Just wondering what could cause that??? The computer said it was 47 degrees, and I've had the bike over that far at higher speed before so I know it's not past the edge of the tyre.

Second thing was another corner (about 50mph and 37 degrees in 3rd gear) and it felt like the back had a little wobble. Again I wasn't being overly zealous with the throttle and it's nothing I haven't done before on the bike.

Does this scream something I'm not thinking of??

yep, pressures i recon too. weve had quite a hot summer and if you last checked on a hotter day they may be lower now. i all ways check from cold in morning too to try to keep roughly the same ambient temperature. i did mine and the missis toady and they were both down by about 4 to 5 psi. glad i checked as i didnt last thursday before a run out and mine felt a little odd. glad i checked them today. :)

Last edited:
could be anything tbh,something on teh road,leaning over to much at slow speed so bikes dropping more than you think/expect,something happening that isn't really happening (as in, in your head) and over thinking it.

i get the front feeling like it's going on slow speed turns,but mainly becuase i'm at the apex of my tuen and the bike is at it's tighest part of the turn,just before i pick the throttle up,it's usually down to going to slower than i think and bike is dropping too much (or more than i expect it to)

Hi,

It could be a number of things that's caused what you've described. Tyre pressure, mould release agent on the tyre, tyre temperature, suspension set up (wafting etc)

It's unusual for a tyre with a high silica content like the road 5 not to be up to temperature as they warm up quickly by nature.

Have a look at your tyre pressures and suspension settings, then go from there buddy.

What mode was the bike in?

I had the bike doing all sorts of mad shit underneath me at Snetterton (on those same tyres) in the wet recently. I think if you get close to the limit of grip in rain or road mode the suspension and throttle are basically taken away from you and try to compensate. I thought I'd lost it about 5 times - felt like the pressures were way out, or the wheels were out of alignment or something. But it then dried out and I stuck it in race pro mode and it was all good.

Heyhey, apologies for not being active recently - went out for a ride today and a couple of things happened that I figured I'd ask here about.

I have Michelin Pilot Road 5 tyres which have done maybe 1 or 2k miles total.

Today wasn't hot, but it wasn't cold either - on a very slow corner in a one way system I banked the bike over in 1st gear (travelling around 20mph) and the front felt like it went from under me. I'm not sure exactly what I did but there was a bit of a collection and I gathered it up. It wasn't caused by throttle input I don't think, I had very consistent throttle and it didn't feel like I could have jerked it on. Just wondering what could cause that??? The computer said it was 47 degrees, and I've had the bike over that far at higher speed before so I know it's not past the edge of the tyre.

Second thing was another corner (about 50mph and 37 degrees in 3rd gear) and it felt like the back had a little wobble. Again I wasn't being overly zealous with the throttle and it's nothing I haven't done before on the bike.

Does this scream something I'm not thinking of??

+1 Tyre pressures then Recalibrate the suspension on the side stand in the setup menu? And also check that you haven't lost the suspension C & R settings you set before front and rear? Then go right back to basics and check the sag again.
BR Steve

Thanks guys, didn't seem that long since I'd ridden it last and didn't check pressures before going out, but it turns out the rear was about 30 degrees! Went with 34F 40R, haven't ridden it again yet but I imagine I'll be able to tell the difference.

Unless your on a track day at inters pace or higher, stick with 36/42.

Through choice I run 30/32 Michelin Power Rs, Power Cup Evos or PC 2s on road on my HP4 and find that very good for feel and grip irrespective of above compounds, bearing in mind these are likely to have seen quite a bt of track work.

Today I'm at similar pressures on K3s on my Gen 4 and the front never instilled me with much confidence, had a couple of very minor "slips" at roundabouts on way to and from Knockhill, I'm still playing about with the Gen 4 set up but will definitely be raising the fronts to 34 for my next runout.

Apologies for this moderate hijack [emoji849]

Good day today, couple of my mates were racing for the 1st time (hence the bibs). Weather was perfect..temp and dry sunny conditions...Good meet too, very busy, sidecars, 500s, 600s, 1000s and a lightweight class... Covid will NOT beat us !

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
35d432cd653545f33977d4ec0a5b666e.jpg
a0903d38132b3377bd0296209fe1694b.jpg
228c612a624c3b3971cff59889c8cde9.jpg
54580b96beb5cb4222d1ca4579cac8bc.jpg
704aa73c04ecf421a21b10ac432b45e8.jpg
0bb9bcb7090ac02911ed9f49ba918243.jpg
68bb7eea64697478c21ee43cba5e4825.jpg
b20aa4a6dee4b47848d99ec83b577e58.jpg

Last edited:
Back