S1000xr

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I?ve got a 20 model and done 8 k miles thus far.
It?s taken me quite some time to get to grips with it as have done quite a few miles on sport bikes.

In my mind, model specific pros are:

- comfy ergos
- good vision
- good handling*
- luggage practicality
- plenty of space for mounting phones, SatNav?s etc
- can genuinely carry a pillion
- air box sounds fantastic at high rpm

Tank range is OK, it?s about 30 miles more than what you get from a Gen 3 RR from memory, but for the size and type of bike I?d have liked another few litres or so.
Vibration is OK too. It does still vibrate, particularly when brand new but has got considerably better over the first couple thousand miles or so. For me, vibes weren?t much of an issue on my Gen 3 RR and they aren?t on this XR.

Model specific cons are:

- handling is limited by ground clearance, and due to the actual design of the rearsets you?re not effectively able to adjust rearsets with the freedom you otherwise would on the RR, R, or even the old XR
- traction control isn?t 14 way adjustable like on the RR, so at times it feels a bit held back
- lack of suspension adjustment. You literally only have two damping modes, and no manual preload adjustment ? so essentially it?s a case of computer knows best. I think they should have given the same damping adjustability as the RR, with an override for preload settings and a manual preload adjuster for the forks. A fork potentiometer would be a good addition too.
- top heavy, you?ll really notice it when you climb on, but on the move it?s not particularly noticeable.
- seriously lacks low end grunt. I guess that?s Euro5 for you, but given the boxer engines are heading towards 1300 cc I think BMW have made a big mistake not making the S range bikes 1100 like Ducati and Aprillia, as that would have gone some way to combat the stricter emission standards.
- seat isn?t particularly comfy.

In terms of warranty work, I?ve had the fork stanchions replaced at 3 k miles as the finishing wore causing a leak and the water pump was replaced recently as that had started ever so slightly leaking. Other than that, no issues.

If you test ride one, make sure you take the time to setup Dynamic Pro appropriately, and do make sure you use the revs so you can get an idea of what the bike can offer, otherwise I think it?s very easy to end up thinking it?s an easy to ride but rather boring bike.
Oh and I also think all these Euro5 bikes could be transformed with a full system and an ECU remap.

To conclude, I am enjoying the bike, I think the adventure sport touring concept does make sense, but I do find myself thinking that BMW could have done quite a bit more with the bike. Maybe they intend saving that for an M model down the line(?)

Thanks for that very detail review.

I took a brand new one out yesterday with only 7 miles on it so it was limited to 8k and had no dynamic pro. I though it was absolutely awesome compared to my 15 plate RS which it may be replacing. I couldn't believe how smooth the quick shifter was compared to my 17 RR and my RS. I really didn't want to get off it.

I found setting off was difficult I stalled it twice.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Well I've eventually got it picked up.
0682aca5ddb2d2ee8d132d9a1fe4cbe4.jpg

Well today I did a deal the trade the XR in after only 550 miles.
I just really wasn't getting along with it.

How come? Will you be switching back to an RS, or something different all together?

The XR is so uncomfortable to sit on my bum is hurting after 20 mins and the position is giving me a bad back after a while, it vibrates quite a bit and the fuel economy is particularly bad, I find it to high and top heavy. It's just not for me as I wanted it for 2 up and touring.

Back