wings - side spoilers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northernsoul65

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
When i bought the bike a few months ago (Gen 3 2018), the chap had done 3k miles and mainly commuted backwards and forwards to work. It had front wings on it which i immediately took off thinking I don't want to look like a wannabe pro GP twat at track days!
In the garage yesterday and thought I'll put them up for sale - firstly, a bit shocked on price. Quick google and most come up at ?150!
Secondly, i started to wonder whether they would make any difference on track - added downforce, better handling...........OR they wouldn't make any difference and I'd just look like a twat.
Please vote:
1. Would make a difference and I should keep them
2. I'll look like a twat (in which case, they're now for sale - which is tricky if you're interested, having voted for number 2)

As long as you make fast lap times, everything helps.

If you're not making fast lap times, no one cares about you anyway, so don't overthink.

Wings

I?ve had quite a few conversations with both alpha Racing and FHO Racing about the new wings. The informed opinion backed by data is that they offer significant benefits in terms of stability under braking, greater cornering efficiency and less wheelie on corner exit.

But they have been specifically designed for the Gen 4 / M and BMW invested heavily in their aerodynamic development and racetrack testing. If you look at the inside of a set of OEM M1000RR side panels, or the inside of a set of alpha Racing or Carbonin race fairings, they have been redesigned and the mounting points structurally reinforced. You are also looking at around ?500 for each carbon fibre winglet (BMW / Ilmberger).

I personally wouldn?t mount a set on a Gen 3 as the new wings have not been designed to be compatible. There are plenty of bolt-on versions out there but I do wonder if there has ever been any real testing to confirm whether they actually work or simply look shiny. If you feel that they do work and are making you faster then leave them on. If not then sell them but the reality is no one will care what your bike looks like in the trackday paddock and nor should you care what others think as it?s your bike.

When i bought the bike a few months ago (Gen 3 2018), the chap had done 3k miles and mainly commuted backwards and forwards to work. It had front wings on it which i immediately took off thinking I don't want to look like a wannabe pro GP twat at track days!
In the garage yesterday and thought I'll put them up for sale - firstly, a bit shocked on price. Quick google and most come up at ?150!
Secondly, i started to wonder whether they would make any difference on track - added downforce, better handling...........OR they wouldn't make any difference and I'd just look like a twat.
Please vote:
1. Would make a difference and I should keep them
2. I'll look like a twat (in which case, they're now for sale - which is tricky if you're interested, having voted for number 2)

if you are a fast trackday rider you can answer 1 yourself after a couple of laps with them.
if you are not a fast trackday rider and can?t tell the difference with/without then its 2.

guys (and girls) have been doing very fast laps on bikes without this aero stuff for many years, physics hasn?t changed so I very much doubt they make a difference unless you are at professional level.

That said, it was interesting to here Hodgson today saying about riders not noticing a difference when somethings added. However the data suggests a different story.

Back