Oil filter/oil change and other liquids

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...........ok, so we can use 10w40, does this have to be fully synthetic? (track riding only - fast group) full change every 3/4 days

whe you drop your oil,it's a good idea to have a look through, gives a good indication if theres any excessive wear going on in there,you'lll always get some flake/swarf but shows any major issues going on with gearbox etc.

a tooth from your gearbox is never nice to see stuck to your sump plug,but saves money/time in the long run

Simply put?.put the best oil in the bike you can i.e fully synthetic, as often as you can with a new filter at the same time. Motel 300V every 3 full trackdays. Obviously if the day has been full of red flags or it was part rained off you can stretch it a little. I run rebuildable filters so i can take a good look inside plus having a black oil catch pan helps you sieve for gold.
Don?t worry so much about being 5W40 as manufacturers vary their advice per region due to winter temperatures. 5w is just thinner in winter for more protection on start up. You can go to a 10w50 for better protection of the top end during hot trackday/race conditions.

Last edited:
whe you drop your oil,it's a good idea to have a look through, gives a good indication if theres any excessive wear going on in there,you'lll always get some flake/swarf but shows any major issues going on with gearbox etc.

a tooth from your gearbox is never nice to see stuck to your sump plug,but saves money/time in the long run
thanks, much appreciated. I'm a novice to all this so any useful tips and advice is really helpful

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Simply put?.put the best oil in the bike you can i.e fully synthetic, as often as you can with a new filter at the same time. Motel 300V every 3 full trackdays. Obviously if the day has been full of red flags or it was part rained off you can stretch it a little. I run rebuildable filters so i can take a good look inside plus having a black oil catch pan helps you sieve for gold.
Don?t worry so much about being 5W40 as manufacturers vary their advice per region due to winter temperatures. 5w is just thinner in winter for more protection on start up. You can go to a 10w50 for better protection of the top end during hot trackday/race conditions.
thanks, much appreciated.
I've gone for the 5 - 40 motul 300v for now but good to know your take on the 10-40 (sounds like that could be good for hotter UK months - ha ha [emoji849], or a euro trip perhaps)

erm...... any special tools required for filter and oil change?
and, do I need to replace sump plug or a washer etc, after changing oil?

Tools

No special tools required but make sure that you torque everything correctly.

I bought an ex t3 d675 race bike and was told i was waisting money putting fully synth in as it was more geared towards the road market where its changed every 30k or yearly service.
Where oil and filter is changed every 2 to 3 days it has no benefits.

OEM Oil Filter Wrench

If you are constantly changing OEM oil filters then the BMW tool is a cheap and worthwhile investment. The part number is 83 30 0 495 448.

The best advise

Re: OEM Oil Filter Wrench

If you are constantly changing OEM oil filters then the BMW tool is a cheap and worthwhile investment. The part number is 83 30 0 495 448.
No

Gen2 has enough space there to use a hex socket, just buy k&n filters with a socket head

If you re itchy about k&n (no reasons to be in 2021), buy this cheap tool and use hi-flo filters

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313617415346

The rule of thumb is, never ever buy from BMW unless its a specialized took that can't be copy pasted.

Back