BMW update problems!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
So, put my S1K in for a service a few weeks ago. Haven't been out much as I'm still working from home until next month so it took a while to realise that that had reactivated the auto-cancelling indicators.

As I previously had that function disabled, it went back to the dealer today to put it back to where I want it. Fairly quick job, got half-way home and realised the auto-cancel was still on! So, we carried on and finished the circuit of the Oxford ring road, back to the garage for a slightly grumpier conversation.

Much longer wait this time, complete with watching my bike go out for 3 test runs.

Anyway, it finally turns out that the BMW servicing computers have been updated recently and are now throwing out error codes all over the place! RS, GS, and S1Ks have all been affected. The programme says that it has completed an action but without actually doing it. When the technician digs deeper, the programme says the bike is missing a module/is broken, even though it's not true.
Trouble is, they can't tell what the errors are until the rider discovers them because their equipment says that everything is fine!

So, all that is fair warning that you may have weird things happening after a service/update, until BMW fix the problem.

In the meantime, until I get the callback, I need to remember that my indicators have turned themselves off...

This sounds frustrating, hopefully you can get it sorted out to your satisfaction. Have you had any update?

Nothing yet, might have to give them a reminder call. I love electronics but wish that manufacturers allowed more on/off user functions rather than all the dealer-enabled requirements...

Ok, so BMW had some firmware updates on their workshop machines and got me in to try and re-disable the auto cancel. As before, computer says 'yes', bike says 'nah, not really'!
The dealer's are going to contact Germany to see if they can offer a solution.

If no go, anyone on here enough of a wiring genius to figure out how I can physically disable the function without triggering warning lights everywhere?

How come you don't like the Auto cancelling?
I wouldn't want to be without mine

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Long periods of filtering, loads of rush motorways etc. (commute into London, 50 miles each way) mean that it often pays to have indicators on longer than any fixed-time setting. I'd rather remember to turn them off when I'm done than have to check to make sure they're still on when I need them!

I had a VFR that had a fairly simple wiring mod to loop the auto cancel out of the picture but a software option is ideal. Strangely the Kwak doesn't have auto cancel, even though it's a newer bike

The indicator auto cancel feature can also be disabled if you know someone who has a GS-911 ;)

Also +1 for hazards and full beam for filtering inside the M25 :victorious:

Last edited:
Back