HP4 (2014) or S100RR M package

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellorp23

Reaction score
I decided although my 2014 HP4 (Carbon) is rather quick I'm tempted by a newer model, which I'm taking for a test ride this week. Any opinions ?

If you enjoy the Gen 4 test ride and wish to proceed, then personally I would recommend a sport model with the performance packs rather than opting for the M-package bike

Thank you for that. Any particular reason why the sport + performance pack over the M package ?

For the forged wheels and colour options. Other than that, the bikes are identical.
That being said, it?s all personal preference and the M-Package is certainly great option [emoji846]

With Gen4 recalls and faults is there anything to look out for, or is this just hearsay from (mates of) unlucky owners. With a 24 month BMW warranty I get the security against major faults, however I don't want a new bike to be in the dealers constantly being fixed I'd rather like to be riding it....

Its very different isn't it. Much more revolution than evolution imo

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Regression. OK the TFT screen is pretty but cruise control on a super sport. Up and down shift does make it feel like you're driving an automatic. I want a motorbike not a car thankyou very much. Too clinical. Like a playing fifa instead of actually kicking a ball.

Regression. OK the TFT screen is pretty but cruise control on a super sport. Up and down shift does make it feel like you're driving an automatic. I want a motorbike not a car thankyou very much. Too clinical. Like a playing fifa instead of actually kicking a ball.

Cruise is a life saver on a long ride IMO. It's been on since the Gen3. But yes sounds like you want to stick with more analogue bikes.

love cruise for stretching arms and hands on long journeys and a speed limiter in villages.:) . , quick shift and blipper is so much fun, i change gear much more than i need too.lol.. the gen 4's handling is much quicker than previous gens and worth having without all the trickery plusses. i wouldn't personally even see this as being much of a competition between a gen 4 or hp4. your hp4 was a nice bike at the time but gen 4 is light years ahead imo.

I rode the2 bikes back to back over the same potholed Manchester streets and a bit of Mway. It might be a better bike on paper but I preferred the HP4 in my real world. I have to say I was massively disappointed. It wasn't even a close decision. I just walked away

It?s certainly a more track focussed bike.

That being said, the TFT is excellent and neither the cruise control or the quick shifter/blipper need to be used, you can still manually clutchless up or down shift without using the system if you desire.
Likewise, if you?re after a fully analogue experience, the ABS and DTC can both still be disabled.

I also think it?s important bearing in mind what the manufactures have to deal with these days in terms of Euro-5 vs Euro 3 emissions regs

They are completely different animals (for now), I'm lucky in the sense that I have an HP4 Carbon and a New Gen 4 M Sport, so I have the best of both worlds there.

Sunday morning decisions decisions ! do I take out my newly derestricted Gen 4 which I haven't had above 80 mph since the 1st service the day before or my HP4 which I haven't ridden since Cadwell last month... the HP4 won... who would have thought !... I'm not at all happy at how the G4 has been set up from the factory, as prior stated on here, on the road there is little to no feedback and an almost wooden feeling to the suspension... this week I'm going to persevere with the suspension and turn into a dream ride..it's a simple case of getting the settings right for my style and weight.. it has to be "there" it's just finding the optimum settings..

Last edited:
If I want the feel of a totally analogue bike, I'll ride one of my 2 stroke GP reps.

Having read the reviews I believed the Gen 4 was like my HP4 only better, the Gen4 with a track focus which was also road friendly. The HP4 is so good I could never out ride it. The Gen4 is more of the same, however it's no better (cruise control aside) on the road than my HP4, and lets face it there are better road focused bikes than either of these. I'm realistic enough to know I could never use my HP4 to it's full potential on a track day, God forbid using that potential on the road. I'm not going to get close to a Gen4's potential.

I don't need a Gen4 track bike. I'm not that good a rider to be able to turn everything off, and I don't need the electronics to flatter my ego. I already have that (if I want it) on the HP4. My HP4 IMO is a more desirable bike. But these are moot points.

In summary, the purpose of the test ride was to see how road friendly the Gen4 was, compared to the HP4. To that point it achieved what I wanted. As I was not impressed, I won't be buying one.

Following from the Gen 4 test ride, do you intend test riding some other bikes in the near future? If so, which ones?

I took a Gen4 out for an extended test ride the other week. I really enjoyed it, but still prefer my Gen3. I know it?s a personal preference. I love the look of the Gen4 too. If I decide to change I?ll be looking at testing the RSV4 and R1M as I love the sound of them. I?ve been told they suit smaller riders, I?m only 6 foot.
As for cruise control. I?m not sure I ever want a road bike without it now, the quick shifter and blooper are class too.

It's a bit like when Apple invented the Tablet, we never knew we needed it.

Personally the up & down quick shifter and Cruise control is a god send with my health problems.

But I can understand your point of view, my TL1000R and 1098RS fulfil those needs.

J

Last edited:
Back