Decat - many questions!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FAF

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Some advice please ? well, lots actually!

Wanting to decat my Gen4 (Sept 20). I?ve searched through the forum info but still have the following concerns/queries:

1. Will a decat fail the MOT? If not, why not (I just like to understand these things)
2. Dynojet don?t identify a model for this bike yet (latest is the 2018 bike). Would the 2018 power commander version work?
3. What experience is there of a Rapid Bike retune module? Which one for the gen4?
4. It not a Dynojet or Rapid Bike is a flash the best way forward?
5. Is a flash reversible (for returning to stock)?
6. Any recommendations on getting this done in Tamworth area?
7. There are 2 lamda probes ? does the Akra system take care of these?
8. If I ordered the Akra would I need any additional items?
9. What do I specifically do with the exhaust valve cables?
10. Any other advice please?

Appreciate any views advice thanks

Answers in line.

1. Will a decat fail the MOT? If not, why not (I just like to understand these things)

No. Emissions aren't part of a bike MOT. They will 'advise you if its loud.

2. Dynojet don?t identify a model for this bike yet (latest is the 2018 bike). Would the 2018 power commander version work?

Try HM. See if they advise it. Not heard of one. But only way to know is to ask a mapper who uses PCV's.

3. What experience is there of a Rapid Bike retune module? Which one for the gen4?
Not heard of one installed. Ask Performance Parts. They import them.

4. It not a Dynojet or Rapid Bike is a flash the best way forward?

No. Flash everytime. But it does depend on your goals.

5. Is a flash reversible (for returning to stock)?

Yes

6. Any recommendations on getting this done in Tamworth area?

Paul Curran Racing / Phil Crowe

7. There are 2 lamda probes ? does the Akra system take care of these?

I thought there were 4? But anyway yes the Akra's come with bosses for the main lambda's.

8. If I ordered the Akra would I need any additional items?

Carbon bellypan!? [emoji6]

9. What do I specifically do with the exhaust valve cables?

You'll want servo buddies/eliminators. Healtech or similar. Cables and units can then be fully removed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If you decat the bike, I guess your best bet is Power Commander or direct ECU mapping. Both needs to be done on a Dyno as I doubt you will find ready to go maps for this bike/decat.

Changing fuel map in ECU shouldn't be visible by a dealer in theory. But they can easily override it with an upgrade.

I woud just go for a full kara system and a ECU flash.

The Akra comes with the appropriate parts for the servo motor. if you are having a flash then they can also turn off this sensor

The Akra will also come with the relevant fittings for the lambda sensors.

buying a full system will also allow you to keep the standard system for if you ever sell the bike.

As Alex says, there?s no issues re MoT decatting the bike.
I agree that an ECU remap is the best way forwards, and if you do this you won?t require a servo eliminator or have any issues removing other unnecessary Euro-5 related stuff, as it?s all disabled in the ECU.
Furthermore, when I contacted DynoJet a while back they said they had no plans to produce a fuel module for the Gen 4 era bikes. I suspect this is due to the fact that they operate entirely under closed loop control.

FWIW, the full akra comes with the exhaust value eliminator and the bike runs perfectly fine without a remap. I'm sure it'd be better with a remap to unlock all the potential, but without it (maybe due to the 4 lambda and self levelling out) it runs fine.

FWIW, the full akra comes with the exhaust value eliminator and the bike runs perfectly fine without a remap. I'm sure it'd be better with a remap to unlock all the potential, but without it (maybe due to the 4 lambda and self levelling out) it runs fine.

I was at HM racing on Monday last week discussing full systems and they confirmed that you don't need a remap if you go with a full system. The stock ECU will be able to handle dealing with a Decat/Full system and the AFR are pretty good. They have a few super stock bikes running no ECU remaps apparently.

FAF; When you fit the full system (if doing it yourself). On first start up, the bike will run like a dog for awhile until it sorts itself. Also do not fire up the bike without a Servo buddy or equivalent installed. The Akra installation instructions are very detailed, it's worth a read https://d1sfhav1wboke3.cloudfront.n...0686/10cfd564-8cf1-4199-b246-435f78e7d35c.pdf

BTW where are you getting your system from? There is a supply issue with them at the moment.

I couldn't get a full Ti system anywhere from a UK supplier till October/November at the earliest and that was a hopeful..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I went for a Spark.it exhaust in the end, they do Ti and SS headers. Really impressed by the quality of the system. Welds are extremely neat and the system is a perfect fit. And it is not too loud either at 102db static. Comes with a baffle too.

Yes, I was struggling with where to get an Akra system from. Even started wondering whether anyone just did a link pipe instead. Will check out the Spark.IT - can?t find any prices at the moment.

Yes, I was struggling with where to get an Akra system from. Even started wondering whether anyone just did a link pipe instead. Will check out the Spark.IT - can?t find any prices at the moment.

Give Naomi at MSS performance a call and she will discuss with you the options. They are the UK distributor. She did me a great price but i am not sure how many are in stock, apparently PHR performance have been snapping them up.

Back