Bike issues

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the subject of the RAC... I know its the first week of the English school hols, and breakdown companies are busy, but it really isn't a good time to break down....

I was on the trip with Amit. It started with Bin's BMW club day at Cadwell. One of the lads that came up from London with us hurt his back arriving at Cadwell and could not do the track, or ride home to London. This is what happened to him:
1. Nothing wrong with the bike, but he couldn't ride it home. RAC made him go to hospital to get a certificate stating he couldn't ride before they would agree to transport it home. He did this first thing the next morning. Hospital were not pleased to have their time wasted.
2. RAC said they'd collect the bike at 1000. They arrived at 1530.
3. Because it's a relay service they first lad took him from Grimsby to Donington services. He was told the next truck would be along in an hour. 4 hours later they said it would be about 2230, but no guarantees.
4. So, he gave up on them, arranged a private collection, got home at 0300 the next morning... given the RAC agreed to pay Amit's costs, I expect them to pay the other lad too, but as they didn't prior authorise it, I suspect they'll put up up a fight first.
5. For the record SOS Bike Recovery quoted same day recovery to London from Grimsby for ?600, or ?200 if it took a few days (with rider working out their own way home). He ended up paying ?160 from Donington, I think it was ?240 from Grimsby.

Anyone had to use BMW emergency services recently? Wondering if they'd do any better. I broke down in rural France many years ago and they were talking about booking me a hotel, ferrying me home to Blighty etc etc

Last edited:
A real shocking service from the RAC?.

Anyhow, am now waiting for the train at Birmingham International

c14c756b7119b3bc970c731eee26b928.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did the bike end up? Did it get delivered to Bahnstormers? Really sad saga bud.

On the subject of the RAC... I know its the first week of the English school hols, and breakdown companies are busy, but it really isn't a good time to break down....

I was on the trip with Amit. It started with Bin's BMW club day at Cadwell. One of the lads that came up from London with us hurt his back arriving at Cadwell and could not do the track, or ride home to London. This is what happened to him:
1. Nothing wrong with the bike, but he couldn't ride it home. RAC made him go to hospital to get a certificate stating he couldn't ride before they would agree to transport it home. He did this first thing the next morning. Hospital were not pleased to have their time wasted.
2. RAC said they'd collect the bike at 1000. They arrived at 1530.
3. Because it's a relay service they first lad took him from Grimsby to Donington services. He was told the next truck would be along in an hour. 4 hours later they said it would be about 2230, but no guarantees.
4. So, he gave up on them, arranged a private collection, got home at 0300 the next morning... given the RAC agreed to pay Amit's costs, I expect them to pay the other lad too, but as they didn't prior authorise it, I suspect they'll put up up a fight first.
5. For the record SOS Bike Recovery quoted same day recovery to London from Grimsby for ?600, or ?200 if it took a few days (with rider working out their own way home). He ended up paying ?160 from Donington, I think it was ?240 from Grimsby.

Anyone had to use BMW emergency services recently? Wondering if they'd do any better. I broke down in rural France many years ago and they were talking about booking me a hotel, ferrying me home to Blighty etc etc

Sounds like it would be more worthwhile hiring a 1 way van, heading to a DIY store for straps and getting it home yourself...probably cheaper too.

So, verdict from Bahnstormer is that they believe the issue is with BikeTrac unit. They sent it away to BikeTrac who replaced the internal battery and sent it back to Bahnstormer. They fitted it, left it overnight and the battery again is flat an believe the trakker is faulty. BikeTrak said that the units warranty is now out of date (2016) and to buy a new tracker.

Should I buy a new unit or more to another tracker company?

So without the BikeTrac connected it doesn't drain?

If it can't get a signal in the building its in it will drain it fast. But it can't see how it can drain so fast when you're out riding that you end up needing rescue.

BikeTrac can reduce the polling interval and reduce the power draw.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The battery was new when it got me to Oswestry.

Another new one at Bahnstormer that again killed the battery.

Maybe just get the bike back and see how it is without the tracker???? [emoji2375]

Last edited:
I can?t see why the tracker would have such an effect on the battery. It?s definitely worth seeing what it?s like without the tracker, if the battery drains again you know it?s not the tracker.

Just to throw a couple options into the mix should the no-tracker test not work out;

- wiring loom starting to rub rub thru somewhere (maybe under tank mount)
- generator on the way out (2015-2016 Gen3s apparently are known to not charge battery probably)

HTH and good luck ?

Sounds like a short somewhere or faulty regulator/rectifier. Possible (but unlikely IMHO) that short is in tracker or wiring. Good idea to see how it goes without tracker.

Thread resurrect.

Got my bike back today (yes, after 4 months).

I have a new battery and a new BikeTrac as advised by Bahnstormer as No-one took responsibility. They said it was all fine.

Obviously the bike MOT had expired so managed to get a slot at 5 pm today. 2 miles into the 4 mile trip to the MOT centre, same sensation. Bike sputtering like it wanted to die. Got to the MOT centre and when my turn to take it in, started the bike and flat.

Checked with the multi metre and it?s low. IMG_3978.jpg

9.54 volts when idling

I?ll be calling BMW/Bahnstormer again in the morning. F***ing fuming.

I just want them to find the issue? but if:

1: reg/rec
2: stator
3: earth issue

Would this be covered by BMW WARRANTY?

Last edited:
The insured warranty warranty then.

I had mine for 3 years on a nil excess monthly payment arrangement.

I just looked it up again and typically the policy wording doesnt mention specific electrical components..

If its a faulty part such as the stator or reg rec I'd say they must be covered.. I'd expect fault finding to be covered also.. its the first phone call I'd make amit so you knew where you stood.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
c572f4ff76d00a6a7df5e689554fd56d.jpg

Last edited:
Your bike is a 2015/2016 Gen3 yeah?
Have you ever had any issues with the wiring loom and/or fuses?

Looks like a fault finding exercise Amit..I'd ask if that was covered and get it back to the workshop of your choice.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Hi Amit,

Sorry to hear your woes. My policy doc says it does cover reg/rect:

Electrical system
Failure of the following parts: all electrical control units, on board computer and starter motor,
starter relay/module, alternator, voltage regulator, cooling fan motor, ignition coil, wiring loom,
lambda probe, fuel level circuit boards and sender units, ABS wheel sensors (excluding damage),
immobiliser antenna. CD player, radio, engine temperature transmitter and coolant temperature
transmitter. Cruise control motor, reverse gear module and actuator. Electric screen motor, main
stand motor, electronic suspension adjustment motors, handlebar combination switches.

Not clear about whether it covers fault finding, but 9.5 volts with engine running suggests the reg/rect - it should be 13-14V.

If you want to try a dealer other than Bahnstormer, I've had very good service from Lind in Welwyn Garden City. BMW Battersea more hit and miss - not very good communication between reception and the workshop.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back