Tax/VAT calculations

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out a method of calculating what we pay if importing an item from an EU country.

The UK is dry as far as Ti Gen 4 Exhausts go.. Italy seems to be the place to buy from..I used... www.simplyduty.com

For a system costing circa ?1700.00 the figures looked like so..

Who is using what and is it accurate. This one looks to factor in VAT only with postage added along the way. Am I missing something?...

Cheers
b6e9071a2bb258afb3414041d9a39ce6.jpg
4f0b0264daa67b80074723da92ba5ccf.jpg
350a1349822dcc9d548086fe0f12575b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The exhaust won't be duty free (unfortunately) you'll need the HS code which should be 8714104000. If it hasn't changed, i brought in a few performance parts from Japan in the past and that was the code I used.

I believe it would be around 4% but this link should confirm. https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/xi/commodities/8714104000?currency=EUR

Try also searching under silencers to see if that brings up any results.

Tax/VAT Calculations

Using the correct commodity code is essential. Just make sure the sender marks it clearly on the customs declaration because if not you will likely be overcharged by HMRC when it arrives in the UK.

make sure you find out the commodity code yourself on the HMRC website (it's no easy task mind!!) and get them to put it on the postage declaration form or you'll be charged a fixed % which is usually more than what you should be paying,you can claim it back if you can prove you've been over charged, but again can be a pain in the arse.

The exhaust won't be duty free (unfortunately) you'll need the HS code which should be 8714104000. If it hasn't changed, i brought in a few performance parts from Japan in the past and that was the code I used.

I believe it would be around 4% but this link should confirm. https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/xi/commodities/8714104000?currency=EUR

Try also searching under silencers to see if that brings up any results.

Is the NI rate right? Shouldn't it be global listing? https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/8714104000?currency=EUR#import

Right you guys are miles ahead of me on this.. I didn't know of or had heard anything about this number (product allocation)....

So if I buy from wherever, do I ensure they place the correct code on the outside of the packaging then ?... to me that sounds easier said than done. I'll figure out a provider of choice over the next few days, run it by you guys and email the provider asking for this to be done.. the fun bit will be the answers i get back from them.. i'm already using a little knowledge and a lot of google translate in french for a company 60 miles south of Paris.

Thanks everyone for your input so far

Last edited:
it's easy, just takes time to workk out the correct commdity code on the hmrc website,but once you know what your ordering,put into the search box on the hmrc site and see what code it gives,it will also give the import tax % rate so ou know what duty you will be paying.when you order it,put in the notes to the sellar to add the code to the declaration form for customs.job done ;).

in fct what is it our ordering exactly i'll have a look later when i get bored see if i can find the best code

Cheers, I now see how you build up that number using that scale too.. however did you find that out, I'd no clue as to the commodity number.. be dun asking them to mark it on the packaging.

found out all about it years ago when i imported some leathers from the US,i like to know i'm not giving the tax man any more money than i have to

Service was unreal... it was on its way to me less than an hour after I paid for it, I got my tracking details and the VAT/Duty bill from DHL within that hour..

And a nice bonus if you can calling that, I'm very happy with the VAT/Duty bill.. any questions on that PM me !..

Looks good - if it's airmailed even better. The welds look great and all 4 lambda's are accommodated.

This just gets better, ordered this on Tuesday morning from NSW.. that's it just arrived.. 3 days from Australia...
2ec7b344fb8f63bcf337399716f1cd29.jpg

Back