Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tax/VAT calculations

Riding
    2013 BMW HP4 Carbo

Tax/VAT calculations

Has anyone figured out a method of calculating what we pay if importing an item from an EU country.

The UK is dry as far as Ti Gen 4 Exhausts go.. Italy seems to be the place to buy from..I used... www.simplyduty.com

For a system costing circa £1700.00 the figures looked like so..

Who is using what and is it accurate. This one looks to factor in VAT only with postage added along the way. Am I missing something?...

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stuartb; 21st July 2021 at 10:43 PM.

Riding
    S1000RR Sport 17

Re: Tax/VAT calculations

The exhaust won't be duty free (unfortunately) you'll need the HS code which should be 8714104000. If it hasn't changed, i brought in a few performance parts from Japan in the past and that was the code I used.

I believe it would be around 4% but this link should confirm. https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov...0?currency=EUR

Try also searching under silencers to see if that brings up any results.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GavD101 For This Useful Post:

Tax/VAT Calculations

Using the correct commodity code is essential. Just make sure the sender marks it clearly on the customs declaration because if not you will likely be overcharged by HMRC when it arrives in the UK.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RyS1000RR For This Useful Post:

make sure you find out the commodity code yourself on the HMRC website (it's no easy task mind!!) and get them to put it on the postage declaration form or you'll be charged a fixed % which is usually more than what you should be paying,you can claim it back if you can prove you've been over charged, but again can be a pain in the arse.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scooby For This Useful Post:

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Quote Originally Posted by GavD101 View Post
    The exhaust won't be duty free (unfortunately) you'll need the HS code which should be 8714104000. If it hasn't changed, i brought in a few performance parts from Japan in the past and that was the code I used.

I believe it would be around 4% but this link should confirm. https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov...0?currency=EUR

Try also searching under silencers to see if that brings up any results.
    Is the NI rate right? Shouldn't it be global listing? https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov...ncy=EUR#import

Riding
    2013 BMW HP4 Carbo

Right you guys are miles ahead of me on this.. I didn't know of or had heard anything about this number (product allocation)....

So if I buy from wherever, do I ensure they place the correct code on the outside of the packaging then ?... to me that sounds easier said than done. I'll figure out a provider of choice over the next few days, run it by you guys and email the provider asking for this to be done.. the fun bit will be the answers i get back from them.. i'm already using a little knowledge and a lot of google translate in french for a company 60 miles south of Paris.

Thanks everyone for your input so far
    Last edited by stuartb; 22nd July 2021 at 07:09 PM.

it's easy, just takes time to workk out the correct commdity code on the hmrc website,but once you know what your ordering,put into the search box on the hmrc site and see what code it gives,it will also give the import tax % rate so ou know what duty you will be paying.when you order it,put in the notes to the sellar to add the code to the declaration form for customs.job done .

in fct what is it our ordering exactly i'll have a look later when i get bored see if i can find the best code

Riding
    2013 BMW HP4 Carbo

Cheers Scoob... I'm not dead set on anything as of yet but try this for a dry run

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPLETE-...-127635-2958-0

here you go,duty is 2%,VAt 20%,so looking in xs of £400 on top of that price depending how they get around the VAT.

heres the page you want on teh hmrc site,it also gves a calculator so you know exactly what yu should pay

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov...ies/8714104000

Riding
    2013 BMW HP4 Carbo

Cheers, I now see how you build up that number using that scale too.. however did you find that out, I'd no clue as to the commodity number.. be dun asking them to mark it on the packaging.