Hi I?m a newbie

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2376

Reaction score
Hi All - I?m an old duffer of 58 who?s owned a 2017 S1000RR sport for just about a year. I bought it on a whim after a brief test ride from Bahnstormers in Alton. I knew in 50m I was going to have it. I traded in an R9T for it. I also had a GS1250 at the time as my everyday bike which is now a new Goldwing? yes I know, sorry but it is rather good.

I?ve had bikes since a toddler and has had most Fireblade models SP2 and recently KTM Superduke GT, R9T as I?ve mentioned and an old BSA 650. Sorry about the life history, but I was told just a hello wasn?t good enough.

I love my RR but I have found the suspension more difficult to set up than anything else and like some still find the borderline between harsh and soggy a tricky balance.

Anyway I live in Camberley and looking for some mates for riding about with.
Cheers - Jason

I?ve just read my intro and it wasn?t that long after all!! Anyway one thing I forgot to say was that I am taking tentative steps to get back on a track and really get to understand the bike better. You can?t really give it the full bit on the A31 despite trying.

Welcome Jason, we do love the history!
Sounds like you've a bredth of experience.

What mode/settings are you using?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks Alex. As far as the suspension goes, I had 2 problems out of the box; I found the ride really hard on anything other than glass smooth roads and there aren?t many of those around here and secondly the bike was running wide accelerating of big roundabouts bends et cetera. I messed around with the rear preload and got the bike to turn how I like it and have settled on 5 turns in. I?m heavy at 17.5 stone on a light day. If I?m going to do a lot of miles I knock the damping front and back down -2 on the front and -3 comp and rebound on the rear but that isn?t a controlled ride if you decide to press on so you have to dial in a bit more damping if the pace peps up. As it?s got warmer the bike seems more compliant or I might just be adjusting to it.

Welcome youngster ! Suspension really is a personal thing.... Coming from those 'comfortable' bikes the RR will always seem a harsh ride on the road whatever your settings. I found this when I had my BMW gsa and my ZZR14, but, on track is a totally different ball game. Most roads are in crap condition and I really can't get excited to go out after having done track days .
Age is but a number whether it's 30 or 90+ (mph ) :Banane35:

Sounds like you're using Riding Pro modes. These do 'set' the suspension where as the Road and Rain modes allow the suspension to adapt more. I spoke with Neevsey who liked to go everywhere in Rain mode...

What a great intro! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.
Im yet to move away from road and dynamic modes
myself. But ask away and I?m sure the answers will be given. If your looking at getting into track days def check out the suspension guys who are always there to give you an idea on set ups.

get some pics up whilst you can and have fun exploring the forum

Marc

Thanks for the warm welcome. I did forget to add that I?ve done all my tinkering in straightforward Sport mode so that the active suspension can do its bit. I?ll move on to race another day once I?ve cracked this mode. TBH I don?t think you can go fast enough on the road to really warrant race settings; it?s quick enough as it is and I like little hovering wheelies rather than reach for the sky ones but that might just be my age. ?

Welcome youngster ! Suspension really is a personal thing.... Coming from those 'comfortable' bikes the RR will always seem a harsh ride on the road whatever your settings. I found this when I had my BMW gsa and my ZZR14, but, on track is a totally different ball game. Most roads are in crap condition and I really can't get excited to go out after having done track days .
Age is but a number whether it's 30 or 90+ (mph ) :Banane35:

Thanks Bananaman. Cheers

Back