Long legs, big feet and old age.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bananaman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Thought this may be worth a look....

Bought the gen4 off the back of my gen1 and gen3 without test riding, I think maybe if I had, it wouldn't be in my garage now.

I know I'm an old git, 10&half feet and 6'2" but the riding position even compared to my '18 RSV4rf was totally wrong for me, soooo cramped making gear changes exceptionally difficult. If I adjusted for upshifts, downshifts suffered and vice versa.

Something had to be done or it had to go.....

No rearsets are made to be lower than standard so bought some lowering pegs to try. These would have been great if not so wide, in the parts spares they went.

Next stop was buying a seat and adding height, much better and ridable.

The space between peg and gear lever needed to be bigger allowing boot transition between up and down shifts to be more comfortable especially on track so fitted a gen3 lever (straight swop) which is shorter in length, bingo !

Only had half hour on the road but big big improvement.

Hopefully a dry day at Brands on the 13th will restore some satisfaction back in the bike. I so want this to work, on paper this is awesome...

Few pics....

Seat shift.jpgSeat shift 1.jpgSeat shifter.jpg

Last edited:
Why does everyone keep saying there aren't any pegs that go lower than standard? I've got the M rearsets on mine and they most definitely do go lower than standard.

Why does everyone keep saying there aren't any pegs that go lower than standard? I've got the M rearsets on mine and they most definitely do go lower than standard.
Measured it? I ask as others were adamant they do not lower.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Do the gillies sets not do +/- 25-30mm up and down? As the 0 point is standard.

Do the gillies sets not do +/- 25-30mm up and down? As the 0 point is standard.
Gilles...
0d46c4162884423ed246751a94a4fbc7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
ca4443cd89fb8637dec48cffa5d209b4.jpg

I'm a meagre 6ft.. I feel comfy on the bike with the exception of that seat...which by the way I'm getting reupholstered next week with medical grade silicone.

Last edited:
I'm a meagre 6ft.. I feel comfy on the bike with the exception of that seat...which by the way I'm getting reupholstered next week with medical grade silicone.

You sticking Joyce's tits on it?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dunno, gave him a few texts and WhatsApp a while back but he never replied.. that's probs around 18 mts ago now...no answer so guessed he just wanted to be left alone... tried before that too at new year, again zilch.. Shame, he was a good laugh and very accommodating when I dropped in to see him.

Last edited:
Gilles...

Hello Mate, where are you getting this done and how much please? Are you just sending them the seat and if you are how long do they have it?

Cheers set

Hi mate, the guy I'm using is in Livingston.. which is midway between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I'll either mail it to him or drop it off.. my preference is to drop it off so I can get a look at the material he is going to use.

So had a brief chat on the phone the other day, looks like I'd get it back probably Friday... so turnaround within the week.

His website is https://hurleycustomseats.co.uk/contact

Might be an idea to ask him directly, looking at his site I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

Actually use this .. his name is Tom..

[email protected]

Last edited:
I'd love to know how you get on with that seat. Not a big fan of the M seat and was hoping the standard would be better otherwise I'll be looking to get some thing done too.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Update.... Trackday at Brands Tuesday ( 13th) with new mods fitted, forecast was dry until 1pm then rain. Chucked in the van couple of wets in case I felt brave and a couple of scrubbed slicks. Rocked up at 6am to set up, track was wet from previous night but not raining, emptied the gear and considered taking the wheels out ready for tyre change. What with one thing and another, chatting to guys in the garage and generally chewing the cud it got to 7.30, signed on and decided to fit the slicks (power 5's currently on).
Chose inters so I could actually ride the bike and concentrate on what my problem was instead of trying to go fast. 1st couple of sessions went fine albeit with no real pace, bike felt a bit wooden but that was probably because it wasn't being worked, lean angle was 42deg, BLUDY 42deg on track !
If there was ever a way of taking the pi$$ out of myself, this was it. Has the time come to say enough? This really was a depressing thought ......
Anyway, next session decided to find out how far the throttle actually turned before it stopped.

Cutting a long 'feeling sorry for myself' story short, the long lay off from bikes and track had played with my head more than I thought, it had taken a fair while to get my speed awareness, confidence, trust in the bike back.

It was interesting playing with the shift-cam system, on it, off it, leading into it etc, on song this really is a weapon. 55deg by the end of the day so 'Gunther' will be staying to teach me some more.....

Stayed dry all day :eek:nthego:

Last edited:
Ended up slaughtered at work, never handed it in, sorry pal, just not had the time...

I might wait till we down tools for the winter now... if I were you I'd get it done, anything is better than THAT seat..

You've just prompted me to email the fella..

Cheers

Last edited:
I'd love to know how you get on with that seat. Not a big fan of the M seat and was hoping the standard would be better otherwise I'll be looking to get some thing done too.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I can confirm the standard seat is way more useable on the road than the M

Back