Is this excessive rotor bolt free play

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R12BAL

Reaction score
Hi guys

Need some help please.

Not owned my 2018 s1000rr long, managed to take it out for my first 200 mile ride last weekend and the bike was fantastic with no issues.

This morning I pulled the bike out to give it a clean and noticed the brakes rubbing/squeaking and just thought it was brake dust build up or dirt. After rotating the front wheel there was still some resistance, pumped the brake lever a few times and noticed that the rotor on the throttle side is secure in position but the clutch side has a lot of free play. Rang local motorrad dealer who said it will be a month or so to get it in as they are busy.

I have checked all the bolts on the rotor and they are all secure and tightened to the correct torque, as are the calipers.

Is this play normal? Do floating discs have some free play? Not noticed this on other bikes I have owned.

I have emailed the dealer (not motorrad) but they have not got back to me yet. New front tyre was put on before purchase, but the bike rode absolutely fine last week and now I'm in two minds about taking it out for a ride. Does stop fine riding a few feet in the garden.

Link to video's taken this morning of me trying to highlight the issue (if it is an issue).

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJC5Lm3UUWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCDv0Ji7mXs

Last edited:
The floating disk should have some free play, yours looks normal to me.

As for the rub I'll let someone else awnswer that as mine is the same but never thought anything of it

They are semi float not full float on the oem discs. They should move very slightly. One being more mobile than another isn't an issue. They only move to allow heat expansion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Both my front OEM (with same wheels) disks move exactly the same as the youtube video links shows, it's never had any issues.

I've not run a clock on the disks, but the brake lever feels good in all types of braking fast and slow ie. no pulsing or squirmy feedback. Been like it for over 2 years.

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciated.

Dealer also confirmed what?s already been said here.

I was just being paranoid, over cautious being my main way of stopping lol.

Back