Puncture repair

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
So, had the fun of picking up a puncture in my rear tyre today. Was pretty lucky in that I managed to make my way to a layby (very busy A23) when I felt it go, and the RAC got to us in about 1/2 hour so that was good. The puncture site was obvious, neat and round so that was good too!

Anyway, the mechanic put in a temporary repair which he said was good for up to 50mph and 250 miles. I tested the appropriate speed recommendation a wee bit (stayed within legal limits of course) and finished off my trip ,which was another 190 miles to get home, and all was fine.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with this kind of repair? The repair technique looked brutal enough to make me think a new tyre is definitely needed so it's really a question of urgency. As soon as as, or when I get round to it?

Should be fine and last the rest of the tyres life.
However, tyres safety is paramount and is rider psychology. If you are anxious about it, just change it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Depends on the repair. Theres a few ways.

But. Iv never had a puncture fail unless it was huge.
And that was a van

Iv had a big enough rear puncture and pumped tire up to 45psi. Rode 23klms at high pace.

Stopped to fill up again. Down to low 20s. Back up to 45.

Done 10k of stop start and town roads to home.

Felt grand. Point being. Even if you have a big hole it never deflates so fast you wouldn't have time to notice.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Think I'll go for the more urgent repair version then, save having that paranoid 'was that the road or has my tyre gone down?' feeling. Might as well have the fun of running a new tyre in!

Glad you got it sorted and home. As corkgsxr says it depends on repair method.

If it?s professionally plugged from the inside (tyre off) then it should be fine and last life of tyre.

If it is plugged from the outside (tyre on bike) then it is more of a temporary get you home fix.

I hate punctures. I keep a holt?s tyreweld can nearby (cars too). Great stuff. Saved a mate being stuck on the A1 after a rideout once.

Back