Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Sprockets

  1. #1
    Standard Member Northernsoul65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    63
    Thanked: 2

    Sprockets

    Crowe performance suggested a change to oem - 1 down on the front and one up on the rear (from 17/45 to 16/46)

    Chap at my garage, who mainly works on race and track bikes, suggested stick with standard 17/45. Something to do with changing wheelbase and that messing up/around with suspension set up.

    Thoughts?

    cheers
    John

  2. #2
    Standard Member bmwbadboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,896
    Thanked: 823

    Re: Sprockets

    What bike is that ?

  3. #3
    Standard Member Northernsoul65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    63
    Thanked: 2

    Re: Sprockets

    Gen 3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbadboy View Post
    What bike is that ?

  4. #4
    Standard Member bmwbadboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,896
    Thanked: 823

    Re: Sprockets

    Quote Originally Posted by Northernsoul65 View Post
    Gen 3
    I would do 16-43

    16-46 is too short even for UK tracks

  5. #5
    Standard Member Northernsoul65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    63
    Thanked: 2

    Re: Sprockets

    spoke to my garage chap again. When they've gone down on the front he says suspension has had to be run really soft. He suggested just going up to 46 rear for a bit more punch out of corners

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbadboy View Post
    I would do 16-43

    16-46 is too short even for UK tracks

  6. #6
    Standard Member bmwbadboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,896
    Thanked: 823

    Re: Sprockets

    Quote Originally Posted by Northernsoul65 View Post
    spoke to my garage chap again. When they've gone down on the front he says suspension has had to be run really soft. He suggested just going up to 46 rear for a bit more punch out of corners
    Sorry mate this doesnt make any sense.

    I suggest to pay 50 to a proper suspension guy at the track to sort it out.

    gearing does change the wheelbase a bit (16-43 extends it, which helps to prevent wheelies), but "suspension to be run really soft" has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by bmwbadboy; 9th June 2021 at 04:45 PM.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwbadboy For This Useful Post:

    Oli

  8. #7
    Standard Member bmwbadboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,896
    Thanked: 823

    Re: Sprockets

    You will have a lot of punch on 16-46 no doubts, but what will end up happening is 1) wheelie up and hence off gas 2) wheelie control cutting power.

    Gen3 engine has enough torque to drive 16-43 without any issues.

  9. #8
    Standard Member Northernsoul65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    63
    Thanked: 2

    Re: Sprockets

    appreciate your comments mate. I'm new to all this so obviously have to place trust somwehere in the end. Ken is a racer and long term mechanic on track and race bikes. They've done work on BMW rr's quite a lot for track.
    so he's suggesting 17/46 and not dropping at the front. I hear what you say re wheelies. I probably haven't communicated what he said to me very well!
    you might be right getting suspension set up. Can they do the that even with everything being electronic?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbadboy View Post
    Sorry mate this doesnt make any sense.

    I suggest to pay 50 to a proper suspension guy at the track to sort it out.

    gearing does change the wheelbase a bit (16-43 extends it, which helps to prevent wheelies), but "suspension to be run really soft" has absolutely nothing to do with it.

  10. #9
    Standard Member Northernsoul65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    63
    Thanked: 2

    Re: Sprockets

    2 track days I've had thus far I've had in slick mode. isn't the wheelie intervention turned off with this setting? hence having to manage any wheelies oneself with throttle/brakes?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbadboy View Post
    You will have a lot of punch on 16-46 no doubts, but what will end up happening is 1) wheelie up and hence off gas 2) wheelie control cutting power.

    Gen3 engine has enough torque to drive 16-43 without any issues.

  11. #10
    Standard Member bmwbadboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,896
    Thanked: 823

    Re: Sprockets

    Quote Originally Posted by Northernsoul65 View Post
    appreciate your comments mate. I'm new to all this so obviously have to place trust somwehere in the end. Ken is a racer and long term mechanic on track and race bikes. They've done work on BMW rr's quite a lot for track.
    so he's suggesting 17/46 and not dropping at the front. I hear what you say re wheelies. I probably haven't communicated what he said to me very well!
    you might be right getting suspension set up. Can they do the that even with everything being electronic?
    I mean its difficult to say anything against it, if Ken is the racer than he knows his stuff.
    The guy I usually speak to, Dave Carnell at HM who helps a team in BSB STK, uses 16-43 on Gen3/4 on most of UK tracks.

    The best thing is to try yourself and see what you like. Rear sprockets are relatively cheap and easy to change.

    Re: wheelie control on OE ECU - I don't remember now. I've been using RS2E flash that has different wheelie control settings. Probably manual is the best source of info.

    Re: DDC suspension - yes, you options in front are very limited without a front pot sensor.
    From personal experience, start with what you have and see how it goes. spend some time and maybe money to setup your existing suspension - static/rider SAG.

    From there on you have pretty much an open field and unlimited options
    1) buy front pot to separate comp/rebound dumping to have more fine grain control
    2) replace DDC with conventional suspension

    really depends on what you want to do with the bike and your budget
    Last edited by bmwbadboy; 9th June 2021 at 07:21 PM.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwbadboy For This Useful Post:

    Oli

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •