Tyre compound joint visible.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martman

Reaction score
Hi all, I need some advice please regarding my Tyres.
I have Battleaxe S21s on my S1000rr, which I bought a few months ago.
The Tyres weren?t new when I bought the bike but they?re definitely nearly new.
The problem I have is on the Centre of the rear tyre, there is what looks like a slice from a Stanley knife which goes fully around the radius of the tyre. It?s as if I?ve spun on something sharp. On closer inspection it?s staggered which is where the top and side compound meet.
It?s not deep but enough to flick with your nail with.
I had this same problem years ago with a Michelin tyre and I replaced it immediately and haven?t ridden on Michelin?s since.
My question is, is this common or safe?
I don?t want to take any risks with Tyres but would I be throwing away decent Tyres for no reason if it?s not unusual/ safe.
Any knowledge or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

26adaf19-7f70-48b7-8177-c2b29eb49e64

I haven't seen anything the pronounced before. Normally you just see a change in shade of grey between the compounds. I'd say it's not dangerous, just keep an eye on it.

There should be two lines / shades of grey. i.e centre harder compound, sides softer. Do you have two lines?

J

Second wide pictured just came in, so ignore previous message.

That's not the tyre, there's something else you regularly roll over in your garage, drive, kerb?

Nothing to worry about at all....

It wouldn?t bother me at all, think they all do that? I?ve seen similar on the s22?s I had recently and it didn?t cause any problems at all.

Isn?t there an imbedded conductive strip too in there somewhere near the middle? Stops static building up, or did I just read that someplace?

Isn?t there an imbedded conductive strip too in there somewhere near the middle? Stops static building up, or did I just read that someplace?

Urban myth I promise you. I?ve worn every brand down to the carcass and there?s nothing other than rubber.

Thank you all for the advice. It is definitely the tyre because it isn?t a straight line its toothed about every 300mm it goes 10mm to the left and right. I hadn?t noticed this until this evening.
I?ll keep an eye on it and if it gets any worse I?ll replace it.
Thanks again.

never heard about the "myth",but got to be one of the best ones :tongue-new:

This was a fairly heavily treaded Pirelli Diablo and my mate was still arguing the toss if he could get home from Spain on it.

He's from Sterling so it was painful for him to break out the wallet.

It was sparking at higher speeds. Definitely no anti static strips in there.... unless you count the carcass :)

Attachments

• DSCF0094 2.jpeg
    DSCF0094 2.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF0093.jpeg
    DSCF0093.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 28
I've worn a rear 2CT down to the fabric 2" wide round the whole circumference on my 1st Gen 1 10R ... I thrashed the bike all the way up from my house to Dingwall.. the guys in BRC Muir of Ord had a heart attack when he seen the condition of the rear.. when they pulled it off the Crown was as thin as fag paper.. I had images but can't find them..

Compared to this you'll be fine...

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Pair of suicide jockeys, hope there's been some growing up since. :rolleyes-new:

That would definitely be a no. :)

You can tell when you?re about to hit canvas, they?ll be hundreds of inch wide tiny cuts on the crown of the tyre at 90 degrees to the direction of travel about 25 miles Beforehand.

Back