Tyre compound joint visible.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it never blew out, testament to the strength of Rayon cord... afaik the only Steel in a road bike tyre is in the beading, everything else is fabric based..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

And it never blew out, testament to the strength of Rayon cord... afaik the only Steel in a road bike tyre is in the beading, everything else is fabric based..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

The shot of my mate?s tire was 2003 so you probably right. I?ll do some research on various manufacturers. I know Michelin are significantly lighter than other manufacturers do it makes sense they don?t use steel braid anymore.

Checked loads of manufacturers and Michelin are the only ones not using steel but that explains the cost and they are considerably lighter and being spinning and I sprung mass it is an advantage. ?

Stuart, yep it?s hard to find out how much steel is still used. The manufacturers just quote steel belt. Hey, if they?re round and black, it?s all good.

That would definitely be a no. :)

You can tell when you?re about to hit canvas, they?ll be hundreds of inch wide tiny cuts on the crown of the tyre at 90 degrees to the direction of travel about 25 miles Beforehand.

Yep thats my change point. When you see the rips/cuts

Checked loads of manufacturers and Michelin are the only ones not using steel but that explains the cost and they are considerably lighter and being spinning and I sprung mass it is an advantage. ?

I remember checking and a s21 is very similar weight to the "lightweight" pures.

Rear Tyre 1.JPG

Stopped for fuel in Fort William - noticed this, still had 110 miles to get home.......it was significantly worse by then :concern:

Funny how it was localised to that one spot, although TBH, I should have replaced before I went away for that trip !

You can see those little cuts in the rubber I was talking about above. Little horizontal lines at 90 degrees to the rotation of the wheel. You know you've got around 25miles of normal riding before you see the belt. :semi-twins:

Last edited:
Back