track advice - gearing......and brakes

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northernsoul65

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I've had my new gen 3 at Donnington and then Mallory yesterday. Firstly................love it!

I'm wondering about changing sprockets - any advice/thoughts? What difference would this make on track? I noticed at Mallory that out of chicane in second it was sluggish to pick up (but maybe just needed to be in 1st). On both track days I barely just got into 4th on straights before needing to change down so mainly just using 2 and 3. Can the gearing be changed to make it more 'track friendly' or more useable somehow?

Secondly, I want to replace front pads and brake fluid. Someone at Mallory mentioned dot 4 race? I'm wondering about a higher spec pad - tracl/race pads?

thanks guys

Small track you probably want 16/46 for punch out the corners and avoiding 1st...
16/43 is what most teams ran but they happily use 1st out the slower stuff.

LCF600 Brembo Fluid and Z04 pads are IMO a great combo...

I'm still going to use the bike on the road for now so is the Z04 too much given that:
The Brembo Racing Z04 compound was developed specifically for racing

Small track you probably want 16/46 for punch out the corners and avoiding 1st...

Meh...I used them on the road, because I am lazy, and they were fine.

But yes fast road pads will do.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Meh...I used them on the road, because I am lazy, and they were fine.

But yes fast road pads will do.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Interesting, i was wondering if anyone used these on the road. My SBS pads are nearly done after 3 TDs and very little road riding.

Alex, any recommendations for make of replacement sprockets and chain? Something good for plenty of track days per year and odd amounts of road riding.
cheers
john

I think I am using a DID 525 ZVMX Gold 120 links. + Renthal front sprocket. I use talon-eng.co.uk for my rears as I they cater for my Titax rims as well as the forged 2017 HP rims.

I'm still going to use the bike on the road for now so is the Z04 too much given that:
The Brembo Racing Z04 compound was developed specifically for racing

I used z04 when I was racing, poured down just before a race and rushed to change to wets but forgot about the pads, didn't realise til the end lol

thanks Alex.
I think the sbs or ebc will do fine for me

I've got their older version the RS. I must say i am impressed by them on track with good initial bite and a consistent feel even when they start to get toasty. But they will be dead after this weekends TD at Silverstone. (4 track days and about 500 miles on the road)

I'll get the RST and I expect them to last a similar amount of time.

I paid ?50 for mine off an Ebay seller. There are a few at this price and seems the going rate for RS and RST for the Gen 4.

Back