Cracked carbon wheels and leaking calipers !!!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bikeracer1098

Reaction score
Since purchasing my S1000RR Msport new back in August last year the front and rear tyres have lost pressure.
Reported to dealer a few times who asked me to monitor it whilst putting more miles on the bike.
Had it?s run in service done and was told to book it in again for further investigation.
Also noticed the front brake fluid low close to the minimum marker.
Took the bike back to dealer yesterday who have now found 4 fractures in the carbon wheels along with a fluid leak on one of the front calipers!!

Pretty poor !!

Could swear that it was a Ducati or an Aprilia ........ lol

Anyone had similar issues and know of time scales for replacement wheels and calipers.

Last edited:
Not sure how you've missed it...
Early wheels had some issues, starts off in the lacquer. And some Hayes calipers leak after the bike is stood for a while.
Both known, how about the forks have they knocked?

As for replacement speed I expect they have stock, you could ask for the Nissin replacement calipers (which come with a different master cylinder). It's a programme in the states (the exchange) but not in Europe.
The wheels, should be easy enough too, there's enough stock. Probably just need to wait for the parts to be shipped.

No telling. Letting out air is a first to be fair. The dealers should be swapping them under warranty at the first sign of trouble.

I cannot understand dealers that don't lean on the warranty system on behalf of the customer. I chose a different dealer when they appear to do this.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Exactly, also bought mine new last August so should not be an earlier bike, it?s only 9 months old !!

These bikes were in high demand so doubt that any were sat around unsold.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
No telling. Letting out air is a first to be fair. The dealers should be swapping them under warranty at the first sign of trouble.

I cannot understand dealers that don't lean on the warranty system on behalf of the customer. I chose a different dealer when they appear to do this.

Exactly as I?ve mentioned this issue to my local dealer since the bike was new.

However bike was not purchased from my local dealer so Maybee there lies the problem!!

Not sure how you've missed it...
Early wheels had some issues, starts off in the lacquer. And some Hayes calipers leak after the bike is stood for a while.
Both known, how about the forks have they knocked?

As for replacement speed I expect they have stock, you could ask for the Nissin replacement calipers (which come with a different master cylinder). It's a programme in the states (the exchange) but not in Europe.
The wheels, should be easy enough too, there's enough stock. Probably just need to wait for the parts to be shipped.

Do the latest bikes leaving the factory come with Nissin calipers or the same as the ones fitted to my bike?

Do the latest bikes leaving the factory come with Nissin calipers or the same as the ones fitted to my bike?
Not seen one with Nissin's in the UK yet.
Casual look on auto trader the newish bikes are still on Hayes.
The latest seals do fix the Hayes calipers so its fixable. They tend to swap the calipers entirely to avoid human error on replacing the seals.

Last edited:
Mine had seals replaced in Jan'20.

Zero issues until May'21 when I noticed pistons start to pop out while replacing the pads (didn't happen before). But I did rape those calipers pretty hard on track (probably 7-8k kms) and unfortunately, being lazy, I didn't regularly clean them. So I'm not overly upset that they are falling apart.

I'm about to replace them with GP4RXs, just need to finish off a set of Hayes pads.

Last edited:
i bought a none used set of carbon wheels a couple of weeks ago and there were cracked around the valve and the overall finish was very poor on the wheels. dated 2019...sent them back. :)

Had the rear wheel replacement approved, now waiting to get the front wheel and calipers replacement approved!!

Last edited:
I checked mine a few days ago and Ive got some hair line cracks between the spokes on the rear I havent check the front, so I?ll be taking a trip to BMW at some point

Rear wheel and one of the front calipers replaced under warranty.
However refused to change the front wheel even thought the tire has been loosing pressure from new. They have removed and refitted the front tyre along with cleaning the inner rim so will monitor.

A faulty valve or badly inserted one could cause pressure loss. Did they replace or refit it?

Asked the question whether the valve was fault etc and they said not.

As an aside just noticed that the dealer had scratched/damaged the rubber surround of my ignition key. Absolutely fuming as the bike is only a few months old and I like keeping everything mint.

Anyone else has their keys damaged at the dealer? Will call them tomorrow to discuss

I'm on the heavy side and I tend to ride fairly hard so far I can't see anything on my wheels but if I did I would be taken it back to the dealer and using one of their bikes till they sort it out.

New rear carbon wheel on order from bmw mine is cracked in 3 places.
b47b8360121a9664325233ba8b54eac1.jpg

6cd7d4e900dea4ff110e444a01a16f79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back