Disc Wear

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently changed the brake discs on my RR, purely because they were getting close to minimum thickness. Just want to show a few pics and get some feedback to make sure all is as expected.

Pic 1, shows my new S1R, which uses OEM everything and has done 500 miles. Discs are still as smooth a baby's backside.

Pic 2 shows the new discs on the RR. They're Brembo Serie Oro and I have put in new EBC-GPFax sintered pads at the same time, to try on track. I've only used them for about 40 miles. I know these are very different, high friction pads for track use. They have marked up quite a lot already, just want to check that's normal?

Pic 3 shows the original OEM discs beside the Serie Oro before I fitted them. They're so marked after 20k miles that I reckon I could put that disc on my record player and hear music - question is should I have let them get that worn, should I have replaced them earlier?

Cheers

Attachments

• 1. New R disc 500 miles.jpg
    1. New R disc 500 miles.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 2. New RR disc 40 miles.jpg
    2. New RR disc 40 miles.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 3. Old RR disc with new Serie Oro.jpg
    3. Old RR disc with new Serie Oro.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Picture number 2 doesn't look right for new discs with only 40 miles on them! Looks like pretty bad scoring, like something has got trapped between pad and disc - possibly gravel or fricton material broken off.

Measure thickness, what does it say ?

Gpfax are agressive pads, so expected to have so marks. As long as they are not warped and have proper thickness they are fine

Pads are different, some are soft and protect the disc and others bite into it and wear it. Looks like the GPFAX, as BBB says, are the latter.

I replaced my OE with Serie ORO last year circa 30k, pic 2 resembled how mine looked prior to changing.. as Rob said 40 miles is nothing, but as you have high friction pads then you have to expect visible markings.. have you mic'd them.. pretty sure 5.0 mil is out of the box.. doubt you'll see any reduction tho. Take it you've checked the obvious, no binding, pistons moving freely..did you overhaul the calipers too ?..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

To me it's the deep grooves that dont look right. High friction pads could cause surface marking. As Stuart says I'd check the pads to see if there is anything abrasive stuck on them that caused the grooves.

I once got trackday rubber kicked up and stuck on the pads that caused brake binding (wouldn't cause the grooves tho).

Thanks for the thoughts. I agree with BBB that I should expect some marking from more aggressive pads, I was just a little nervous by so much so quickly. There are no deep grooves that I can see, but I'm going to take calipers off and have a good look round at the weekend.

I did everything that Stuart suggested when I was prepping to fit the new rotors. The calipers were completely overhauled, pots replaced 1500 miles ago anyway, so should be in a good state.

Cheers

I want to believe that you install new pads with the new disc or you might hear a copy of the same song as the old disc:courage:. If you did change the pads, those lines/marks are from the aggressive pads you are using. If you want to go not that hard on your discs then less aggressive pads might be needed or even organic/carbon ones might be the right choice. If you have not the same wearing front and back then your calipers might need a bit attention/cleaning/servicing. You can always go for a little thicker disc next time since you use the bike for trackdays.

Personally, IMHO they?re fine. I fitted new discs recently and even lining everything up (forks, wheel, axle) and just hand spinning the wheel on the stand and grabbing the front brake, my discs looked like the second picture. From the ?blueing? on the disc I take it the 40 miles was on track? In a perfect world I?d run new pads and discs in gradually over a few miles on the road to put in a few gentle heat cycles.

Latest posts

Back