M endurance chain

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsijay

Reaction score
Been reading up on this chain..even though it's expensive is that rite you have to change the sprockets as well ? Even though they are the same parts number as the original one's on the rr?Seem a bit strange to me.....or just a dealers trying to rip u off???

Hi,

I had mine fitted two months ago. Bike had already done 4000 miles and BMW (Barnstormers) advised new sprockets not needed even though I thought you had to change as part of installation - apparently not.

Sent from my XQ-AD51 using Tapatalk

I had 5,500 miles on mine when I went for the M endurance chain and was told to change the sprockets at the same time. The OE spec chains look awful on a ?20k bike. The Endurance chain looks so much better from an aesthetic point of view and so far, so good. No lube needed and no lube all over the back wheel etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks for replying....so 50/50 then regarding changing sprockets..so schua 2007 I presume you have had no issues on original sprockets? Just seems a bit extravagant considering there the same sprockets

I was told by the dealer that they wouldn?t offer the lifetime warranty on the chain had I not changed the sprockets. How true this is I do not know but I opted to do the lot. Fit and forget is my view.

I was told by the dealer that they wouldn?t offer the lifetime warranty on the chain had I not changed the sprockets. How true this is I do not know but I opted to do the lot. Fit and forget is my view.

Hmm good know.....thanks

You should ALWAYS change the sprockets when changing the chain. It's just good practice. They wear along with the chain, a new chain on used sprockets could see accelerated wear on the new chain.

Sprockets are cheap compared to the chain.

Last edited:

You should ALWAYS change the sprockets when changing the chain. It's just good practice. They wear along with the chain, a new chain on used sprockets could see accelerated wear on the new chain.

Sprockets are cheap compared to the chain.

Wot even if the bike's only done 2000 miles? Surely that's chucking money down the drain that.......

Wot even if the bike's only done 2000 miles? Surely that's chucking money down the drain that.......

So BMW would fit a ?230 chain to your bike with the old sprockets on, and if it were to snap (for example), and you went back to BMW for them to honour a warranty claim, how do you think that would go down?

Well no one is making you change the chain after 2000miles are they?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeah I know..........

I'm looking into buying chain and sprockets for my gen 3, this "M endurance chain" would be my first choice as long as it fits onto new OEM sprockets with the standard number of teeth (17 & 45).
Having spoken to two motorrad dealerships and coming away with the answer of "BMW don't list this chain being available for my model" has left me looking elsewhere.
Has anyone had the M endurance chain fitted onto gen 3?
I wonder if they've made this particular chain different dimensionally and started looking into tensile strength from other manufacturers for a 525 chain:

OEM regina = 41KN

ThreeD = 43.6KN

Supersprox = 45.8KN

DID = 46.3KN

AFAM = 48.9KN

I wonder what the M endurance chain is rated to.

I have the M chain on my 2021 RR. It rusted a fair amount in 6 months and 3500 miles. I didn't ride in rain but it did get wet occasionally riding on wet roads etc. Dealer researched others with the chain and all said they told him to treat it like a normal chain (clean and lube as before). It doesn't seem to have stretched much if at all. Just reporting my experience with it.

My opinion is it?s all bollocks. I?ve since heard that BMW like to refer to it as ?low maintenance? versus ?maintenance free????.I?ve been treating mine like
any other chain as I?m not taking the risk of it rusting and such like, I keep my bikes minted especially the chains so I?ll continue doing what I do.

p.s just noticed Jamie mentions that in the previous post

Same as said above. I love the look of the gold chain but take no notice of the zero/less maintenance and clean and lube just the same as my other bikes.

Jamie what manual is that from? I see it states 35-45mm of chain slack when the Gen 4 is 45-50mm of slack.

also the one you posted is the way I usually check chain slack, measure upward movement and downward movement, downward movement is usually around 4-6mm but below it states just upward movement. So I do what this one says.

1-E9687-FF-37-D3-4-C75-B09-F-677-DB2582-D3-B.jpg

I've never bought into this Maintenance Free shite either tbh.. your chain and tyres are part and parcel of cutting about on bikes.. I clean and lube my chains frequently and always give my tyres a good look over when I've the bikes up on the ramp.. done it for too long and the minimal advantage if you can call it that isn't appealing..can't beat a good look over the running gear, you never know what's round the corner on essential items..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Back