Decat

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northernsoul65

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
regular mechanic that deals with track and race bikes says that he has removed the cat on some bikes, kept header pipes and end can, fitted link pipes. How's that sound?
Or....is a full after marker system preferable?
Will the ecu sort out the mapping automatically or will it require a remap?
Either way I'm thinking about the fitting of track fairings in due course.
thanks guys

2018 Gen 3
spoke with Phil Crowe earlier re fairings but also asked about this option with exhaust. He said it's defi8nitely done but does need mapping afterwards.

Which Gen have you got?

I have a 17 Gen 3 and I just cut the cat out and fitted a link pipe and end can.

Rob

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

If your 17 is the same as my 15 then I just cut the cats out and welded straight through pipes in place. At the time, the consensus was the OE down pipes were very good. It also keeps the rear valve in for noise testing :Banane33:

Last edited:
I think I'm going to decat my HP4, any suggestions on link pipes, just had a quick scan there, they range from washers to quite a few hundreds of pounds... I've no problem with chinky stuff.. is this what I'm after..
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLvdHTr

This motorrad one looks different...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393222162465
Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
To my eye that Y piece on the Aliexpress item is a POS. Exhaust flow should be smooth and allow for expansion. But I'm sure it will do a job.
Also, both pieces have very different entry directions so which is it you need? Angled or straight?
\

Last edited:
To my eye that Y piece on the Aliexpress item is a POS. Exhaust flow should be smooth and allow for expansion. But I'm sure it will do a job.
Also, both pieces have very different entry directions so which is it you need? Angled or straight?
\
I'm not sure, I just thought a link pipe was a link pipe, as in you cut and fit at the same points no matter what..wouldn't have thought there's much in the way of pipework to play with..

Can someone can post up some pics of the pipework with the cat removed ?

Last edited:
It seemed to run and go ok but I got a power commander fitted and set up on the dyno.

I now have a cat cover fitted which I think looks good as it covers the pipe.

Cheers Rob, any pics of it underneath when you were in the process of fitting it, that's what I'm after really, just so I can see where you cut it etc.. what's with the smaller diameter pipe, is that just to suit the can ?

Actually, just clocked this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S1000RR-...-/273658327442?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

That's a realistic price, I really don't want to pay circa ?500.00 for a 2ft piece of tubing. Wonder if the HP4 pipe diameter is the same as the ThouRR.

Also, are those outer pipe covers just spot welded, if not the will be a bastard to cut off ?

b7def274e616f3123630df528446347b.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is a 17MY Stuart so different to yours. I only had single pipes to cut not outer and inner like that pic shows.
I don't have any progress pics, just before and after.
That small pipe on mine is just for end can.

Rob

Thread resurrection!!

For anyone that has decatted their 2017/18 Gen3, did it make any difference to the heat? Current set up, even with a carbon fibre heat shield is textile-melting hot...

Not sure if this helps but I put the Akro Titanium full system on and it was like it could breath at last!...no change in heat - it just runs hot and that's fine ;-)

Last edited:
Back