Gen 3 misfiring

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vro551

Reaction score
After about 15 minutes of riding the bike started to misfire occasionally especially when applying the throttle from closed. The engine never switched off and it happened occasionally, mostly on the 3 lower gears. Not warning lights and checked with the GS 911, no fault codes.

Millage is 16300kms , never been tracked, always well take care off, and dry weather only (the advantage of living in the middle of the mediterrenean)

My guess is that one off the plugs is on the way out, happened on my zx6r too.

Any feedback or advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

After about 15 minutes of riding the bike started to misfire occasionally especially when applying the throttle from closed. The engine never switched off and it happened occasionally, mostly on the 3 lower gears. Not warning lights and checked with the GS 911, no fault codes.

Millage is 16300kms , never been tracked, always well take care off, and dry weather only (the advantage of living in the middle of the mediterrenean)

My guess is that one off the plugs is on the way out, happened on my zx6r too.

Any feedback or advice greatly appreciated

Cheers
Plugs and/or leads I would plump for initially, maybe breaking down under load.

Will try to take off the plugs during the weekend and post a pic

W74gmaU
Finally managed to get to the plugs, i think these are not the best looking
W74gmaU
set lol

https://imgur.com/a/W74gmaU

Tempted to use Denso as NGK doesnt do iridium, but cant find the Denso equivalent

W74gmaU
W74gmaU
set lol

Tempted to use Denso as NGK doesnt do iridium, but cant find the Denso equivalent

I do not have big experience with spark plugs but they do not look horrible to me. Also 16000km is not too much. I changed mine in 27000 without issues. I suggest you use OEM unless you have a reason not to do.

Look ok to me, any ceramic damage?
Oem replacements would be sendible as you're not changing things from spec before finding the issue.

Coil packs would be my suspects.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

coils checked all 4 at around the 540 ohm range
no damage to the ceramic, to me the gap looks wider than .7 or .8
will clean, re gap and test with the coil on the bench and check for the spark

Dont know if it make any difference but the bike is used during weekends only not more than twice per w/e. My zx6r had the plugs changed after 8yrs at 24k (kms) and used iridium. After only 8k and 7 yrs had to clean and regap

after cleaning and adjusting gaps to 0.8
https://imgur.com/a/RrZxJ95
spark resistance from 3.92k to 4.3k
I can't manage to get the plugs sparking, centre pin of the coil is ground, pin 3 is the 12V, I had a spark on my kawasaki doing the same setup

Update, replaced plugs and bike is singing once again:nevreness:

We're you able to pull the coils by hand, I'm going to change the plugs on my HP4 and wasn't sure if I needed the coil tool.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

W74gmaU
W74gmaU
set lol

Fair amount of contamination on 3 of those plugs. Third from left is what I'd expect. Running rich. What mods have been done? J

Last edited:
Stuart,

Actually thinking about it I haven't done my Gen 4 so maybe easier, I know I couldn't do it without the puller on earlier versions. I'll shut up know. ;) J

you can get them out without a puller,but for the sake of a few quid,broken fingers (and possible snapped connectors on coils) i'd get a puller ;)

Cheers guys, there's no part number denoted for HP4/S1000RRs.

I take it the Coil puller is a universal fit then... any listings are for GSs etc but mention of Thourrs

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Back