Lean angles on track - when do you run out of tyre?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lean angle comes with confidence in your ability, and trust in the tyre. There is a lot of fast riders who can take a turn without excessive lean angle.
I don't know what angle I have been at, but you waste time and energy picking the bike up as you exit the turn.NGJ_9631.jpg

agree about pressures 30 30 to start for track, what was dmc12 running?
looks like might be high, always get off the edge on mine (not the front)

Lean angle comes with confidence in your ability, and trust in the tyre. There is a lot of fast riders who can take a turn without excessive lean angle.
I don't know what angle I have been at, but you waste time and energy picking the bike up as you exit the turn.

You're kidding right! The fairing is nearly touching the floor!!

agree about pressures 30 30 to start for track, what was dmc12 running?
looks like might be high, always get off the edge on mine (not the front)

I was running 32/32 (warm but not hot, i.e. 10 mins after a session) but the sun was out and it was hot so could and should probably have come down a bit. Agreed on chicken strips - had gone CLOSER to the edge on the front than I had on the S22s on the blade, but miles further away from the edge on the rear - this is definitely due to the shape of the crown on the Power RS. Wanted to post this thread to check you don't just run out of front if you crank it over much further! Seems like lots of people have been riding much harder than me... :stung: And I thought a 1.56 round Donington was decent :concern::D

downloadz_190421_2930_donington.jpg

Last edited:
Had a day at Donington yesterday, felt good to use the bike as intended!

Also wheelie control is a revelation on the straights!

/QUOTE]

I love donnington I could go there very time all the time. Out of interest what mode were you in and did you have the throttle pinned? I am no fan of wheelies, so not really interested in getting the front up, but still want to safely push the bike. On my previous ride gsx-r 750 I could open the throttle all the way down wheatcroft straight and it stayed fairly planted. On this beast not so sure :courage:, I know in Road, Dyn and Race its meant to stay down but would be good to know your experience of it on the track.

I love donnington I could go there very time all the time. Out of interest what mode were you in and did you have the throttle pinned? I am no fan of wheelies, so not really interested in getting the front up, but still want to safely push the bike. On my previous ride gsx-r 750 I could open the throttle all the way down wheatcroft straight and it stayed fairly planted. On this beast not so sure :courage:, I know in Road, Dyn and Race its meant to stay down but would be good to know your experience of it on the track.

I ran the bike in Dynamic mode - tried Road as I like the extra engine braking (bad form, I know) but I found the traction control too intrusive down the craner curves and up past the old hairpin. Didn't notice the traction control at all in Dynamic. If you go to Race you lose the cornering ABS, and I found myself trail braking a lot so this is something I'd be keen to keep (especially after watching BvG's crash on 44 Teeth).

As for wheelie control - this pic is from Wheatcroft straight - pinned from 2nd through into 4th and wheelie control in Dynamic mode just keeps the front wheel at this height. It's sweet. On my blade if I pin it in second I'm fighting the front wheel all over the shop but this is smooth AF. You can also keep it pinned over the bump on Starkeys straight without doing a 140mph wheelie which happens on just about every other bike if you don't lift or short shift.

downloadz_190421_2026_donington.jpg

Excellent thanks for the info. Good to see the use of the sport dash also, just got to love the features of this bike.

On the point of lean angles, it is also a concern of mine. You feel like Marquez but then look at the pics and realise you are barely over. However on my next session, I want to focus on using my body and form rather than trying to lean the bike more. I feel like if I focus on leaning the bike I will do something silly. Hopefully good form will naturally lead to a good lean angle, Well that;s my theory at least. :glee:

Agreed on lean angle - I?m trying to minimise it on every corner, but the point remains I could be going faster if I had the balls to drop in a little quicker and lean more...

i mostly use rosso corsas so the profile might be different, but i've had an old 4xv r1, 2 gsxr1000s k6 and k8 and the bmw gen1, and 30 cold has been my default for years, always have a little bit left on the front and right to the edge on the back, i've demoted myself to the inters these days so not going too stupid.
main thing is too enjoy it.
just had a new pair fitted today and off to brands GP in june - yipee!!!

Agreed on lean angle - I?m trying to minimise it on every corner, but the point remains I could be going faster if I had the balls to drop in a little quicker and lean more...

Whilst it's a good talking point, there's only so fast anyone can go around a corner.... Main areas are acceleration and braking areas that cut more time. Simon Crafar, " it's not how quick you get on the gas but how quick you get on FULL gas" Many of us don't use braking markers either, it takes the guesswork out of how late you should brake...

Whilst it's a good talking point, there's only so fast anyone can go around a corner.... Main areas are acceleration and braking areas that cut more time. Simon Crafar, " it's not how quick you get on the gas but how quick you get on FULL gas" Many of us don't use braking markers either, it takes the guesswork out of how late you should brake...

Completely agree on both counts - getting on full gas early makes a massive difference, as does having a consistent braking marker that you can trust. The gen 4 does make it easier to get on full gas earlier than anything else I've ridden - and I'm sure I could be much more gung ho with the throttle too once past the apex and let the electronics sort it out, but years of nightmares of high sides are hard to train your brain out of!

I don't know what angle I have been at, but you waste time and energy picking the bike up as you exit the turn.

not sure i get your thinking,but lean angle is a consequence of your speed around the turn,the faster you take the corner (assuming you've taken on the correct line/apex) the further you need your COG towards the apex,so,the further something has to lean in(you or bike).As for wasting energy,apart from slow tight turns,it's acceleration that will pick the bike up more than anything else*,not so much your input,although yes,there is some input/energy used by the rider.(*how many times have you ran wide due to getting on the power to early,before the turn is completed,thats the bikes input/drive doing that,not the rider).

only real time you using energy is through chicanes,flick flacks,fast direction changes,but it's not wasted,it's used to enable you to go faster...

the more you lean, the better you take the corner, the easier bike turns in, the earlier you can be on-gas out of the corner, the better line/position of the bike you have

Agreed as I said on page 1. It?s more about load than angle. You can get a silly angle of lean without really loading the tyres. It?s when you combine the two is when it gets sketchy. ;)

I dont think lean angle is consequence of speed.

it is when we are talking about track riding,the faster you go, generally more amount of lean/movement is needed to carry on taking the corner/apex.

* this a general rule,obviously talent,skill,tyres etc play a big part

Back