Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lean angles on track - when do you run out of tyre?

Lean angles on track - when do you run out of tyre?

Had a day at Donington yesterday, felt good to use the bike as intended!

What have people's experiences been on what lean angles have been achieved on track (on OE road tyres)? My brain seems to limit me to about 45 deg (see pic) although the tyre suggests there's way more to go. Having said that the crown is much more vertical than it is on my S22s on my blade which have no chicken strips left at all.

If anyone has done 50+ out there then that might convince me I can actually tip the bike in harder without washing out! (obviously conditions and tyre temp dependent).

Also wheelie control is a revelation on the straights!

(ps don't worry, I will be paying Peter Wileman some money for pics shortly )

76B321AC-9681-4D8A-B5DD-32B8A285FA84.JPGFBD8B8CF-8C30-416C-93B6-B361FEC08652.JPGIMG_0662.jpg190421_2363_donington.jpg190421_2026_donington.jpg

Re: Lean angles on track - when do you run out of tyre?

I can't add anything to the mix on lean angles but the pictures look great! Good job.

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER bananaman's Avatar
    Riding
    Gen4 msport

Rule of thumb generally is where the wear rate finishes. In your pic it looks like you have gone just into the side sipes, the rest is the rubber sitting on top where it's melted off the centre. To tell you to lean a lot more is like telling you to put your hand in the fire, you need to feel it bit by bit, slowly slowly catchy monkey.... Sounds like a good day !
    Speed doesnt kill, its how fast you stop.......

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bananaman For This Useful Post:

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER bmwbadboy's Avatar

57 is good value

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER bananaman's Avatar
    Riding
    Gen4 msport

60 is into crashing territory
    Speed doesnt kill, its how fast you stop.......

Slowly does it. It's really all down to load on the tyre more than lean angle. I don't lean over anywhere need as much as I used to but mid to high 50's is fairly easy to achieve on the road and track without loading the tyres to much. Some tyre manufacturers have an almost vertical edge on their front tyres so reaching the edge means full commitment. I know guys who happily hit 60 degrees on the road but they're simply going round and round a roundabout with out pushing the load on the tyres.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy yourself, don't scary yourself. It took me along time in racing to learn that if I go in too hot into say Paddock bend (Brands), you're better off cracking open the throttle a tiny bit to take the weight off the front tyre and put it on the bigger rear contact patch instead of rolling the throttle off fully and adding more load. Takes a conscious effort for a long time for it to be second nature. Here's my tyres from a trackday.
    IMG_4835.jpgIMG_4836.jpg

Here's my slow mate whose nearly 70 years old himself and his road tyres on his SP1. Another thing is you run a lot lower tyre pressures the faster you get and this allows the tyres to squidge more and increase grip. I personally wouldn't recommend the ubiquitous 36F/42R most manufactures recommend for road pressures. I don't even run that on the road.

IMG_3110.jpegIMG_3111.jpeg
    Last edited by JamieMac; 20th April 2021 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks for all the responses - I do think that the profile on the OE Michelin Power RS in the 200/55 size mean it's much harder to reach the edge of the tyre than it is on my 190/55 Bridgestone S22 (see pic - this is just from the first two sessions before I switched bikes). Does this mean I can lean further than I can on the Blade? Maybe! You really do have to slowly reprogram your brain, because let's face it, we're not Marquez who can save a low side with his elbow on the tarmac

Couple more gratuitous pics of the BMW in action as well as the Blade for reference

190421_2848_donington.jpg190421_2115_donington.jpg48932B94-36F8-464D-99F1-08CE48E336AB.jpg190421_1671_donington.jpg

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Tattoobob's Avatar
    Riding
    S1000RR 2017 MY Gr

I got 53 left and 48 right on the road last summer and that was right to the edge of the tyre.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I can do high 40s on the road.

More angle comes with more time.

Tires can hold alot further than you think