Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotor Bolts

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Flyingscotsman's Avatar
    Riding
    S1k 2013 Black

Re: Rotor Bolts

I had a smilar issue with mine when I changed rotors. Turned out to be old threadlock in the hole that hadn't been cleaned out first time.

I didnt use any heat - if you have don the threadlock may be baked on, but should cut away with a thread tap.

As Paul says it is is important to tighten all bolts equally as you fit.

Very easy to chew the heads on these bolts.
    Last edited by Flyingscotsman; 14th May 2021 at 07:37 AM.

Thanks for the thoughts gents. I was able to locate and hand tighten both old and new bolts into 9 of the 10 holes. I had already confirmed that the new bolts had the same length/pitch/width as the old ones. I went looking for thread lock stuck in the holes in the morning light. However, what I actually found was that the screw only goes in at an angle because there appears to be damage near the top of the wheel thread - I didn't notice that with all the bushes and disc in the way last night. Not sure how it got the damage, but hey... Whilst I would normally look forward to learning something new and tapping it myself, I've spent a lot of time and money on new tools over the winter and now that we have the opportunity to use our bikes more I just wanted it done. Lazy or what :-)

So I called my local garage, and they recommended a local engineering company, who said they could do it today... so they have the wheel. Just waiting on them calling to say it's done.

Riding
    HP4, F3 800

Good advice from the guys and worth noting for the next person...cutting or cleaning up a thread in a blind hole correctly requires a bottoming tap...there is a difference if you look closely..

You can buy these on an individual basis or as a set like mine..not expensive but covers what an average bike owner would need and are indispensable in my opinion...

A thread Gauge is also essential, Pro Bolts is OK but a set like this is better when your eyesight is crap like mine..

32 quid sorts 95% of the likely problems most of us will encounter..

To put things into perspective a really good quality set of engineering taps and dies in high speed from the likes of Presto or Faithfull will set you back at least a grand, most of the cheap ones will be Carbon Steel and not HSS .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M4JUT...X7320VSP8NPNKR

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stuartb; 14th May 2021 at 06:50 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stuartb For This Useful Post:

Oli

On another day I might have spent that £32 and spent the rainy weekend working out how to use them. As it was it only cost a fiver to have the damage by someone who actually knew what they were doing (Cranford Engineering, Ashtead). They describe themselves as a machine shop if you need to google something in your area.

Best of all, there was a chippy near the shop that did a cracking bag of chips. Of course, that all meant that by Friday I had the bike back together - just in time to be unusable cos of the torrential rain we had all weekend.... que sera