Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Track Day - Advice & Pointers

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER schua2007's Avatar

First Track Day - Advice & Pointers

Hi all,

Friday rapidly approaching and will be my first track day - No Limits at Bedford.

I will be riding there - 90 mins, Gen 4 on Metzler M9RR and booked into Novice.

A few Q's from my side:

Tyre pressures - bearing in mind Novice and M9RR plus associated air temp being 7 - 10C, how much lower should I run from standard road pressures or perhaps not at all?

How many laps would you suggest before tyre temps are up to a sufficient level to lean further? I appreciate it's speed vs temp but based on Novice - I'm thinking 3?

I have not altered any suspension, I'm not someone who plays with spanners in the garage. I have read though that sag is a must and I'm probably 100KG fully suited and aware that suspension based on 85KG. There is a suspension/tyres company attending so should I ask for the suspension to be altered or just run with what I'm used to on the road?

I've only ever ridden in Road. Should I now play with Dynamic/Race or save that for second track day?

What's the most likely incident I will get involved in unless aware?

Anything else?

Thanks all and appreciate inputs

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER bmwbadboy's Avatar

Re: First Track Day - Advice & Pointers

Regarding pressures, go to a tire guy and ask him. Likely it will be something like 34/34 but check with him.

Regarding the rest, forget about everything.

Ask NL instructor to show you the lines if they have someone there. Otherwise go out and enjoy.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmwbadboy For This Useful Post:

I have never been to an NL event, nor (sadly) am I a regular track day attendee, but I still feel like I can offer a few thoughts. Tyre temps: I'd typically expect to get all necessary advice on tyre temp in the briefing, and in the unlikely event of that not happening you'll find they'll be happy to advise if you ask, esp of if it's cold. The M9 is a good tyre so it'll be fine as long as you don't try any time attacks, which should definitely not be any part of your first time on track - you need to get used to the routine, the different environment vs road riding

If you want to spend the time on the suspension it'll always be time/money well spent, but you don't sound too far away from std for it to make a big difference. If this is your first time on track, you might want to focus on track time and get the set up done another day. Just treat the day as a fast road ride and take any advice - professionals - offer.

Rider mode - keep it in Road, because that's a variable you don't need to change on your first visit. I have done Donny quite a few times, usually in Race, but last time there I forgot to change out of Road and still set my fastest time ever... I suspect that's because i still have lots to do on technique and timing before the mode will make any difference to my time, and the difference in throttle reaction might unsettle you.

I'm sure you will be fine incidents are reasonably rare. Just don't make any sudden movements across the track - faster riders will find their way past you when it's safe to do so. Keep your vision up to watch for others and relax into it. You'll probably go a bit faster in the afternoon as you relax into it, but don't try to time yourself - leave that for another day. Just keep your energy up inbetween sessions and drink lots of fluid so that your concentration stays up all day. Don't be scared to take a break.

Enjoy! I would be jealous if it was warmer :-)

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER bananaman's Avatar
    Riding
    Gen4 msport

All about enjoyment in relative safety. Don't fill your head with too many variables it will spoil your day. It's not about how fast you go it's about learning your bike and being comfortable in your own skin. DO check in with the tyre guy about pressures (remember to change back before riding home) DO fold your mirrors in, what's behind is not your problem. Above all, go home with a smile on your face after 'popping your cherry'

IT IS ADDICTIVE AND IT WILL GET EXPENSIVE ...
    Speed doesnt kill, its how fast you stop.......

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bananaman For This Useful Post:

Oli

Oh and forget about Road mode, put the bike in Race Pro 1 and never look back

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmwbadboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bmwbadboy View Post
    Regarding the rest, forget about everything.

Ask NL instructor to show you the lines if they have someone there. Otherwise go out and enjoy.
    basically this,just relax+have fun.but definatley grab an instructer early on to give you an idea on lines.

Riding
    HP4

1st track day just treat it as a fast road ride. You have plenty of other days to start tweaking the suspension. If someone comes whizzing past ignore them.
    I'd put it in Road mode (unless it's wet).
    Tyre pressure is an easy one. 1st session don't do anything daft and just ride well within your comfort zone. Check your tyre pressure before you go out on track and make a note of the ambient temp. As soon as you park up feel how warm the tyres are. If they are cold drop the pressure before your next session. If they are warm and you feel confident you are heading in the right direct with pressure. If they are hot then you have your pressure. At the end of the morning check the pressure (hot) and again just before you go out in the afternoon (cold)
    If you want a more or less intrusion from the electronics alter the mode. Let the bike and the BMW electronics take the strain and enjoy the experience

You need to be able to remember the sequence of corners before you can even think about the proper lines

Quote Originally Posted by Mellorp23 View Post
    1st track day just treat it as a fast road ride. You have plenty of other days to start tweaking the suspension. If someone comes whizzing past ignore them.
    I'd put it in Road mode (unless it's wet).
    Tyre pressure is an easy one. 1st session don't do anything daft and just ride well within your comfort zone. Check your tyre pressure before you go out on track and make a note of the ambient temp. As soon as you park up feel how warm the tyres are. If they are cold drop the pressure before your next session. If they are warm and you feel confident you are heading in the right direct with pressure. If they are hot then you have your pressure. At the end of the morning check the pressure (hot) and again just before you go out in the afternoon (cold)
    If you want a more or less intrusion from the electronics alter the mode. Let the bike and the BMW electronics take the strain and enjoy the experience

You need to be able to remember the sequence of corners before you can even think about the proper lines

dont take offence,but it's info like that (vague as best) that gets people into trouble,it's his 1st t/day,how is he supposed to know whats hot/warm/cold?

it's so much easier,go ask the tyre guy,they even have a list (usually) for tyres/temps,but dependant on weather conditions may need a tweak,again they will advise on the day.no need to taking ambient temp readings as track temps differ massivley.

just keep an eye on pressures through the day when you come in to be sure your around the ball park,but unless they are massivley out,it wont really make a difference on your 1st day anyway.

Lol, he lost me after that ambient word

Riding
    >15+ sport

i would just ask the track support fella what pressures to use, then just go out and enjoy.
    mut

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mutl3y For This Useful Post: