First Track Day - Advice & Pointers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schua2007

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Friday rapidly approaching and will be my first track day - No Limits at Bedford.

I will be riding there - 90 mins, Gen 4 on Metzler M9RR and booked into Novice.

A few Q's from my side:

Tyre pressures - bearing in mind Novice and M9RR plus associated air temp being 7 - 10C, how much lower should I run from standard road pressures or perhaps not at all?

How many laps would you suggest before tyre temps are up to a sufficient level to lean further? I appreciate it's speed vs temp but based on Novice - I'm thinking 3?

I have not altered any suspension, I'm not someone who plays with spanners in the garage. I have read though that sag is a must and I'm probably 100KG fully suited and aware that suspension based on 85KG. There is a suspension/tyres company attending so should I ask for the suspension to be altered or just run with what I'm used to on the road?

I've only ever ridden in Road. Should I now play with Dynamic/Race or save that for second track day?

What's the most likely incident I will get involved in unless aware?

Anything else?

Thanks all and appreciate inputs

Regarding pressures, go to a tire guy and ask him. Likely it will be something like 34/34 but check with him.

Regarding the rest, forget about everything.

Ask NL instructor to show you the lines if they have someone there. Otherwise go out and enjoy.

I have never been to an NL event, nor (sadly) am I a regular track day attendee, but I still feel like I can offer a few thoughts. Tyre temps: I'd typically expect to get all necessary advice on tyre temp in the briefing, and in the unlikely event of that not happening you'll find they'll be happy to advise if you ask, esp of if it's cold. The M9 is a good tyre so it'll be fine as long as you don't try any time attacks, which should definitely not be any part of your first time on track - you need to get used to the routine, the different environment vs road riding

If you want to spend the time on the suspension it'll always be time/money well spent, but you don't sound too far away from std for it to make a big difference. If this is your first time on track, you might want to focus on track time and get the set up done another day. Just treat the day as a fast road ride and take any advice - professionals - offer.

Rider mode - keep it in Road, because that's a variable you don't need to change on your first visit. I have done Donny quite a few times, usually in Race, but last time there I forgot to change out of Road and still set my fastest time ever... I suspect that's because i still have lots to do on technique and timing before the mode will make any difference to my time, and the difference in throttle reaction might unsettle you.

I'm sure you will be fine incidents are reasonably rare. Just don't make any sudden movements across the track - faster riders will find their way past you when it's safe to do so. Keep your vision up to watch for others and relax into it. You'll probably go a bit faster in the afternoon as you relax into it, but don't try to time yourself - leave that for another day. Just keep your energy up inbetween sessions and drink lots of fluid so that your concentration stays up all day. Don't be scared to take a break.

Enjoy! I would be jealous if it was warmer :)

All about enjoyment in relative safety. Don't fill your head with too many variables it will spoil your day. It's not about how fast you go it's about learning your bike and being comfortable in your own skin. DO check in with the tyre guy about pressures (remember to change back before riding home) DO fold your mirrors in, what's behind is not your problem. Above all, go home with a smile on your face after 'popping your cherry'

IT IS ADDICTIVE AND IT WILL GET EXPENSIVE ... :courage:

Oh and forget about Road mode, put the bike in Race Pro 1 and never look back

Regarding the rest, forget about everything.

Ask NL instructor to show you the lines if they have someone there. Otherwise go out and enjoy.

basically this,just relax+have fun.but definatley grab an instructer early on to give you an idea on lines.

1st track day just treat it as a fast road ride. You have plenty of other days to start tweaking the suspension. If someone comes whizzing past ignore them.
I'd put it in Road mode (unless it's wet).
Tyre pressure is an easy one. 1st session don't do anything daft and just ride well within your comfort zone. Check your tyre pressure before you go out on track and make a note of the ambient temp. As soon as you park up feel how warm the tyres are. If they are cold drop the pressure before your next session. If they are warm and you feel confident you are heading in the right direct with pressure. If they are hot then you have your pressure. At the end of the morning check the pressure (hot) and again just before you go out in the afternoon (cold)
If you want a more or less intrusion from the electronics alter the mode. Let the bike and the BMW electronics take the strain and enjoy the experience

You need to be able to remember the sequence of corners before you can even think about the proper lines

1st track day just treat it as a fast road ride. You have plenty of other days to start tweaking the suspension. If someone comes whizzing past ignore them.
I'd put it in Road mode (unless it's wet).
Tyre pressure is an easy one. 1st session don't do anything daft and just ride well within your comfort zone. Check your tyre pressure before you go out on track and make a note of the ambient temp. As soon as you park up feel how warm the tyres are. If they are cold drop the pressure before your next session. If they are warm and you feel confident you are heading in the right direct with pressure. If they are hot then you have your pressure. At the end of the morning check the pressure (hot) and again just before you go out in the afternoon (cold)
If you want a more or less intrusion from the electronics alter the mode. Let the bike and the BMW electronics take the strain and enjoy the experience

You need to be able to remember the sequence of corners before you can even think about the proper lines

dont take offence,but it's info like that (vague as best) that gets people into trouble,it's his 1st t/day,how is he supposed to know whats hot/warm/cold?

it's so much easier,go ask the tyre guy,they even have a list (usually) for tyres/temps,but dependant on weather conditions may need a tweak,again they will advise on the day.no need to taking ambient temp readings as track temps differ massivley.

just keep an eye on pressures through the day when you come in to be sure your around the ball park,but unless they are massivley out,it wont really make a difference on your 1st day anyway.

I ran DRC2's (basically the M9RR but from Pirelli) 35/30 HOT off 60degree warmers at Snetterton last weekend.

I'd equate that to ~33/28 cold and no warmers. F/R.

Do with that information as you see fit.

Tyre pressure isn't going to be a big issue on a first go. Most of it will be getting a routine together regards going out and coming back. Making sure you have fuel for the session ahead.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

As others have posted........tyre pressures from the Tyre Man - they might feel strange at first but it'll make sense after a few laps - and have fun. 20 minute sessions might not sound a lot but it is when you're on track and make sure you have plenty of water.

Enjoy.

yep, just ask tyre support for pressures and an instructor for the rest, relax and just ride around the track at your own pace. lastly make sure your credit card is ready for when you get home and start booking more. :)

Just adding my 2p to the already excellent comments... The tyre pressures question also depends partly on how fast you ride, I?d do the sighting laps and first session on road pressures (or maybe a couple of psi down) and take it steady as it?s first time ever.

Get a feel for how the bike feels on the racing surface and line. You?ll have a couple of sessions break (usually) to discuss and sort out pressures with the tyre guy before going back out and increasing your pace. Above all enjoy.

Hi all,

Many thanks for inputs, summing up I'll be speaking to the tyre man and focusing on the track/lines and no doubt smiling - a lot!

Oh, and getting an overdraft for my addiction that follows,

Thanks again

Tyre pressures all depends on how fast you are and by fast I mean how hard you accelerate and how hard you brake as this is what puts the extra heat into the tyres. The hotter the tyre the higher the pressure in the tyre will go so therefore the faster you go the lower you do the pressure. Having said that you wouldn?t normally lower them by more than about five or six psi especially for your first track day that?s on the rear front probably wouldn?t drop it more than about 2 to 3 psi on the front.
If you?ve not dropped pressures that much before you will notice that the steering feels heavier especially for the first few laps until the warmup and the pressure increases inside them again which point the turn in will become back to normal normal.
Best advice I can give you is to relax enjoy it and do not under any circumstances try and keep up with another rider, always ride to your own confidence and limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to answer the question on how long before tyres are up to temperature - if the ambient temps are 10-20C then you'll be up to temperature in less than a lap. In colder temperatures then 2 laps should easily do it. You can get more heat into the front tyre by braking hard, zig zagging is of no benefit.

Take snacks and a water bottle with you. You'll find you really burn through energy.

Some tips from my experience - feel like you've made a mess of two corners in close succession towards the end of a session, or even in the middle? Just come into the pits next time you can. Don't wait till the end of the session if your concentration is going. Come back in, have a break and you'll be much sharper again next time out.

Depending on how fast a road rider you are / how confident you're feeling generally, I'd be tempted to line up at the back of the group and take the first few sessions at your own pace. It's easier to go past people than it is to feel rattled by having faster bikes rattle past you constantly.

I would leave the bike in Road mode. If you think it's too soft, perhaps try Dynamic in the afternoon. You won't need Race.

Expect to be absolutely shattered by the end of your 90 minute ride home! I've had to take a long break at a petrol station on the ride home from Bedford after a full day before.

Most of all, enjoy it and don't feel like you have to keep up with anyone else or set any lap times!

Bedford is my local track and I always use it as my warm up for the season. I was there last Friday and the temp didn't get above 9C. And being open (Old ww2 airfield) it doesn't have a lot of shelter from the wind. The Novices are kept in a different area to the Inters/Advanced (Covid19 rules). You basically don't get a garage and stuck in a carpark. But you can hang down by the main pit area which i would advise). But wrap up if you can, worst is being cold before a session.

There is loads of good advice here as we can all probably remember our first day track day jitters. Obviously we do not know how handy you are on a bike on the road. But I personally think for at least your first session and being novice, I wouldn't drop the pressures too much, a few PSI. (Last thing you want to be worrying about is wobbly cold tires). Once you pick up your speed then you can go lower. There is also an airline/gauge in the main garage at the pits you can use.

The novices are pretty much lead by an instructor for half the first session. The speed isn't fast and you're gradually brought up to speed. From memory the first few laps (3/4) are instructor lead and then you are brought back to the pits (So you know where it is). Then sent out again on your own.

In regards to Bedford, it is a flat ish open track, tons of run off and very wide. It really is a great novice track. It is a left hooker so the right side of the tyre won't see a ton of action. It does have some fast straights and the odd bump but generally it is pretty smooth. I would say go in Dynamic mode to start at least as it does have some fast straights and heavy braking. Lastly and this isn't to scare you. But the first tight left out of the pits is always bin city for throttle happy guys who have cold tires. Take it easy there until you have a least a lap under your belt.

Other than that have fun, grab an instructor to show you the lines or just crack on at your own pace when you are comfortable. But I guarantee you're going to have a huge smile on your face after that first session.

It is a really easy and safe track (tons of run off)

Back