First Track Day - Advice & Pointers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Limits released at the weekend Brands on the 02nd May which I booked. Likely to still have good availability across levels if you're interested

I won't be able to do the 2nd as i am at Silverstone the next day being taught how to ride a bike at their Masterclass. But i may do the 17th at Brands in the evening. On the 8th i have booked to do the GP circuit at Brands. Definitely worth giving it a go.

Hi all, second track day complete, I'll do a write up tomorrow when I'm on the laptop for those interested. Safe to say the addiction is growing.

Quick question for those knowledgeable in tyres, not me. Does the wear below indicate anything I should be aware of/adjust next time?

The tyres are M9RR, I ran 34 psi with no warmers, Novice group at Brands Hatch. Certainly one of the quickest in the group and was achieving low 50's in right handers.

Thanks, Rich
097555db865af0db6c2917b603c3bdb0.jpg
25ef0739cdd761ee55ade56db6e6a0df.jpg

Sent from my XQ-AD51 using Tapatalk

Hi, Brands was yesterday and pretty much got away with perfect weather, few light spots throughout the day and I departed early looking at weather forecast - got soaked on the way home. Today is just starting to go downhill, wind is 40mph and waiting on the rain to arrive.

Sent from my XQ-AD51 using Tapatalk

downloadz_020521_3322_brands (002).jpgdownloadz_020521_3234_brands (003).jpgdownloadz_020521_3390_brands (002).jpg

Morning all,

Second track day completed, this time at Brands and weather remain good throughout - a few drops of rain but nothing significant.

The rucksack was donned again, a slightly later and more agreeable start time of 0700 with only a 90 minute commute which involved decent A roads as opposed to just Motorway but a nice heavy downpour on the way there restricted the fun of an early morning empty (wildlife permitting) road.

The first thing that struck me is how undulating Brands is. I've watched BSB for years and always knew the first corner dropped and rose up to the hairpin but had no idea of the rise in the opposite side into the last corner and then sweeping down to the straight - Indy circuit. I grew to love this and indeed the entire track.

On arrival it was busy, hundreds of people milling around and four groups plus support people tightly nestled into the paddock side. The queue to sign on was thirty minutes and everyone appeared very focused as opposed to Bedford which had a really relaxed atmosphere. Bearing this in mind I carefully selected a spot furthest away from the garages that I could achieve as conscious not to get in the way and parked myself by a Marshall hut within the car park and unloaded everything - about 26 seconds and I was ready to go.

Luckily for me, the group next door (running Aprillia and Honda and supported by a guy on a Gen 3) were very welcoming and adopted me reconfirming that everyone is genuinely there to have fun and look out for each other - a huge thank you to those individuals as you made my day thoroughly enjoyable.

Following on from Bedford I adjusted the tyres (advice given by adopted family) to 32/34 - they suggested going lower but I resisted to start with. I also put the bike in Dynamic as at Bedford I had thought the suspension was soft in Road. What a difference in suspension, the bike felt planted at all times with no 'spongy' behaviour as I applied throttle mid corner. Next time I shall try Race but also aware that the electronics that kindly look after someone of my level get diluted down as Race mode used so gently, gently.

So first session, huge smile but aware of only one real left hander after the hairpin and the thought of cold tyres. The left hander after the hairpin took me a long time to master (if you can call it that). It also felt that there was a gentle camber going away and I often (to start with) felt like I missed my tip in point and was therefore late going in. I had listened to my adopted family as we watched other groups and they talked me through the lines for the later corners - late apex onto the straight and then aim close to pit wall and you can get the drive on early and overtake - this provided me much fun throughout the day and the power of the Gen 4 just enabled me to blast past people - lots of smiles in helmet.

Second session I went and found an instructor. This is undoubtedly the best part of the two trackdays I have attended so far as I love watching, learning and measuring my own improvement. The sessions were busy and the Indy is short so the instructor advised be positive on overtakes and follow him - what a difference as I was backing out far too early on overtakes before corners out of courtesy to other riders. By delaying the braking I was undertaking on most corners and then switching to the outside (following instructor) on the longer corners and holding greater speed so going round other riders - my grin almost split my helmet it was so enjoyable! There was only one piece of advice from the instructor and that was to drive through the pit lane if it's becoming too bunched as there was a tendency after a few laps for all the riders to become bunched and therefore hampered progress.

So overall, I'm thoroughly enjoying the trackdays, I've fallen in love with Brands as you can probably tell from the pictures of my tyres in the posts above - if that's telling you anything I should know please share - pressure/temperature etc. Few pics from the day added, comments welcome as know I have more to learn and body position will become key as I progress.

And finally, I got soaked on the way home again - probably not a bad thing as prior to the shower I was rather progressive on my ride home so need to contain that in the future as I don't believe Mr Plod would be very understanding.

See you soon, the rucksack wearing becoming addicted to trackdays member,

Rich

Or do what I do and hire a van for the day - ?60! Sounds like you had a great day - thanks for the write up. If you like your hills, get yourself a day at Donington next!

190421_2507_donington.jpg

you know it's only a couple of quid to buy the picture? ;)

Good to see you're having fun chap. It only gets more and more expensive from here haha!

Also it is great to see you are keeping it real by riding to track days on your road bike.

But i will agree with others a van changes the game and in all honestly it is probably a safer thing to do. I used to ride to track days on my old Daytona. In all weathers and it's sh*t to be honest. After a long day it's where your concentration is at it's lowest and your eagerness to get home to does aid to being on the ball.

In regards to riding/pointers all i would say is ditch the mirrors or at least fold them in. (They are a distraction) And the bike I'd just stick the bike straight into a Pro mod, you can adjust the parameters to suit you. Crank up the TC to start and then wind it off the more comfortable you feel. That goes the same with ABS, Wheelie etc. But the main thing is the suspension, it has a far more consistent feel as the DDC isn't full active.

And finally, I got soaked on the way home again - probably not a bad thing as prior to the shower I was rather progressive on my ride home so need to contain that in the future as I don't believe Mr Plod would be very understanding.

See you soon, the rucksack wearing becoming addicted to trackdays member,

Rich

it's mad how slow it feels on the road directly after a track day,and how easy it would be to lose your licence!!!

I bought a bunch of pics from that day! Just not that one that showed the hills :D

Glad you're enjoying it. Sounds like you're going about it the right way.
I can guarantee you that it always rains on the way home. I had no luck when riding home from the track!

I use a motolug trailer now or hire a van if needs be (like an overnighter).

I hate Brands signon, it's the worst of all tracks. Always gazillion of people moving at snail's speed.

Weather was supposed to be terrible today, why I didn't bother booking.

Are weather forecasts worth anything in reality?
It's brands, it's changing every minute. Wouldnt be surprised it rains today

d8ec274b06345fae3d9452a632a7f3c6.jpg

Back