2020 s1000rr oil leak

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33fys

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just been out on my gen 4. Only had it a few months, went a run and parked up and seen oil residue between the head and block on the RH side of the bike. Looks like it?s coming from the cam chain tensioner bolt on the back of the cylinder head. Maybe the washer? Anyone else had this? Thanks!

Hi guys,

Just been out on my gen 4. Only had it a few months, went a run and parked up and seen oil residue between the head and block on the RH side of the bike. Looks like it?s coming from the cam chain tensioner bolt on the back of the cylinder head. Maybe the washer? Anyone else had this? Thanks!
Yes, it's common, as I know 3 people who had it.

Just tighten the bolt and you will be fine.

I went the panic road of buying and changing the washer, turns out there was nothing wrong with original.

Last edited:
Ok bud. So did you actually change the washer out or just leave it and give it a nip up with a spanner? Think the torque is meant to be 35ftlbs? Cheers

Ok bud. So did you actually change the washer out or just leave it and give it a nip up with a spanner? Think the torque is meant to be 35ftlbs? Cheers
I did, only because I bought a new one before trying the torque. Both washers old and new were identical

Nice one thanks guys!! See if I were to change the washer, is it a case of just remove the bolt / change washer and re install it? Or is the more to it than just removing it? Thanks

Nice one thanks guys!! See if I were to change the washer, is it a case of just remove the bolt / change washer and re install it? Or is the more to it than just removing it? Thanks
I didn't do it myself, my mechanic did. He called bmw and they told him it's easy as you said. In theory you might need chain adjustment but I guess if you do it carefully it's fine

Back