Fitting thicker discs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edd1e

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to fit Brembo HPK supersport discs (5.5mm thickness) to my S1000RR. Being a standard base model bike, it previously had the thinner standard discs.

I'm having trouble getting enough spread in the calliper pistons with new pads to fit the new discs in. With both callipers off the bike, If i spread one calliper out enough, it's pushes the pistons in the other one closed. If i have one fitted on the bike.. i can't spread the pistons far enough in the calliper that's not fitted.

Do i need to let some pressure out of the system to allow enough clearance, what am i missing here?

Edd

1) take the cap off the reservoir.
2) stick something in caliper 2 like a screw driver or 1/4" bit extension which locks caliper 2's pistons in place.
3) go to caliper 1 - immobilise 2 pistons using the same technique. Gently work the remaining two pistons back in to the pots (pressure will push the other one out but over time the fluid will go back to the resevoir.
4) Immobilise the completed piston and repeat on the other 2 in that caliper...stick the caliper on the disk and bolt down hand tight.
5) repeat on caliper 2.

also, wash the pistons with a tooth brush and brake cleaner/fairy liquid before pushing them in.

Last edited:
1) take the cap off the reservoir.
2) stick something in caliper 2 like a screw driver or 1/4" bit extension which locks caliper 2's pistons in place.
3) go to caliper 1 - immobilise 2 pistons using the same technique. Gently work the remaining two pistons back in to the pots (pressure will push the other one out but over time the fluid will go back to the resevoir.
4) Immobilise the completed piston and repeat on the other 2 in that caliper...stick the caliper on the disk and bolt down hand tight.
5) repeat on caliper 2.

also, wash the pistons with a tooth brush and brake cleaner/fairy liquid before pushing them in.

I assumed it would be something like that, never had to do it with new pads, but the new discs are just too thick not to do it.
Thanks Alex!

just keep an eye on it overflowing when pushing caliper piston fully back,easiest way to take some out is with a bit of kitchen roll,just soak a little up as you go along

Don't listen to these Rockets pal...just get some decent 40 grit and scuff away to your hearts content !..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Back