Wheel bearing play

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCRR

Reaction score
Hello all.

Just had bike in for 1st MOT and got an advisory for rear wheel bearing. Bike only has 3500 miles. Is this normal?
Any advise on what to buy as replacement and how to fit?

i would get it checked again, have you found play yourself. never herd of it before and wouldnt bearing play be a fail and not an advisory. i know on a car its an advisory but you have 3 other wheels.

Mine was replaced a few years ago just before we done the Forum NC500...it is unusual.. at 3500 i'd say highly unusual...is it definitely the bearing and what rims are you running...

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

It Could be your Cush drive I had my replaced under warranty at about 5000 miles

Hello all,
Thank for feedback. Do you mean sprocket bearing or cush drive rubbers. I have had it on paddock stand and think I may feel some movement but doesn?t feel like play between metal as I would expect from bearing. Might just leave it and see if BMW pick anything up during service in next few months

Where's the play mate ..

If you hold the rim tight and grab the rear sprocket, pull up against direction of travel and push up down against it, there really shouldn't be any discernable movement.. any "looseness" will likely be the drive rubbers..

I done mine 2 years ago... and I can already feel a bit of movement in them, as mine are 5 circular bushes I popped them out and rotated them 45 degrees, stuck them back in and there was zero play after I built the back end up... . Yours only go in one way..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I?ll have a look at bearing and Cush drive. Surprised anything worn at 3500 miles. 1st bike I?ve had to look at any of these.
thank you all for input

I think the Cush drive rubbers are considered to be consumables, at least that?s what I was told when mine needed replacing around 10k miles.

Could worn Cush drive rubbers allow wheel to have some movement. The wheel does not feel like free play metal to metal movement

I know BMW updated the rear wheel bearings, the rears were originally open bearings and are now sealed on both sides. The cush drive rubbers will loosen up through time as they absorb pressure. I wouldnt expect with the mileage on a road bike for the bearings or rubbers to be worn. I would expect a Gen 3 to have the revised bearings though. Defo cheaper to replace bearings than cush drive rubbers if you can DIY. BMW want ?18 per rubber but are obviously easier to replace.

I?ve ordered a 34mm socket for axel nut. I?ll take wheel off soon and see it the 3 bearings feel smooth

Thank you all for tips. I?ll take wheel off and see if they feel smooth

Back