Recall, should I be worried

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIKERFRENZY

Reaction score
I get my new bike on Friday and it was first registered in March 2012 and is a 2012 model..I'm not sure if it will be included in the recall for the conrods but if it has should I be worried that it has had all its engine removed and taken apart and possibly put back together without the strict quality control employed in the engine assembly factory?

Depends who did the work!!!

I'm guessing the simple answer is no but then I made sure my 2012 was built post the conrod issue being discovered.

No don't worry about it, if its going to fail it will do so within the first 1000miles. in any case you will still have another year of warranty, BMW don't mess about when it comes to engine failures and will drop a new one in at the drop of a hat.
The last thing BMW want is negative PR surrounding one of the main attractions to the bike (192bhp engine)

Its not that hard to do either.

UrbanRacer link=topic=1842.msg16636#msg16636 date=1354092898 said:
No don't worry about it, if its going to fail it will do so within the first 1000miles. in any case you will still have another year of warranty, BMW don't mess about when it comes to engine failures and will drop a new one in at the drop of a hat.
The last thing BMW want is negative PR surrounding one of the main attractions to the bike (192bhp engine)
+1 ;)

It really isn't a big deal.They only have to change 8 bolts.(yes,slightly simplified,I know!)
Any reasonably competent person could do it.

baz link=topic=1842.msg16640#msg16640 date=1354097198 said:
It really isn't a big deal.They only have to change 8 bolts.(yes,slightly simplified,I know!)
Any reasonably competent person could do it.

That rules out my dealer then!!

Phoned the dealers today and it's a recall bike but it only has 475 miles on it and the BMW database system says the work is complete so I have no idea who might have done it. The bike is supposed to be an ex BMW managers bike. with the 9000rpm restriction on it it shouldn't have had any stick but I wonder if they took it off early? I always end up buying a lemon :'(

BIKERFRENZY link=topic=1842.msg16649#msg16649 date=1354126095 said:
Phoned the dealers today and it's a recall bike but it only has 475 miles on it and the BMW database system says the work is complete so I have no idea who might have done it. The bike is supposed to be an ex BMW managers bike. with the 9000rpm restriction on it it shouldn't have had any stick but I wonder if they took it off early? I always end up buying a lemon :'(
If it was a BMW managers Bike from BMW Head Office I think it would have been sorted by one of their Top spanner men!!! I still think you have nothing to worry about, start enjoying your Bike mate ;D

phil link=topic=1842.msg16653#msg16653 date=1354129324 said:
BIKERFRENZY link=topic=1842.msg16649#msg16649 date=1354126095 said:
If it was a BMW managers Bike from BMW Head Office I think it would have been sorted by one of their Top spanner men!!! I still think you have nothing to worry about, start enjoying your Bike mate ;D
^This.
Look it's a BMW ;) And any mechanic working there is no fool. The only thing the mechanic missed on my bike,was putting my nice stainless dust cap back on! He put a dirty plastic cap on lol
I went straight to the head man and got my stainless cap back lol
But seriously you have warranty & if anything breaks it will be sorted once again. Don't listen to any horror stories or what others may say,like people have said you only hear the bad stories.

I have a 2012 recall bike brought on the 4th feb with 10 track days under its belt and has no engine issues. Relax surely if there was further issue mine would have been problematic by now.

simon d link=topic=1842.msg16657#msg16657 date=1354129996 said:
I have a 2012 recall bike brought on the 4th feb with 10 track days under its belt and has no engine issues. Relax surely if there was further issue mine would have been problematic by now.
Yeah and yours has been thrashed Simon lol

the strict quality control at the engine plant was the route cause for the issue!!
Chances are the dealer gets a decent chunk for each bike done , and its in their interest to ensure its done right , I believe the issue ws wrong torque setting and some missing goo off the bolt.

think positive matey . it'll be reet

Boardsofnorfolk link=topic=1842.msg16661#msg16661 date=1354130220 said:
simon d link=topic=1842.msg16657#msg16657 date=1354129996 said:
Yeah and yours has been thrashed Simon lol
Mine is gonna get some serious stick on the track ;D

Picked my recall bike up on a Friday afternoon on a trailer(it was peeing down!),it had 4 miles on the clock
Saturday morning,got my kit on,started it for the first time and off I went.
Completed a 250 mile round trip without even looking to see if anything had dropped off!

Monday did a full day at Snetterton(yes,with the limiter still on-it was bouncing off it every gearchange,all 34 per lap!)

Wednesday,I got the miles up to 510

Thursday,at 526 miles had the first service and limiter off.

Spent the next week fitting full system,pcv etc.etc.

Dyno'd at 540 miles and made 202rwhp(din)

So,my opinion is,don't give it a second thought.I'm more than happy that I saved £2k.

I had also been told by the service manager that it was acceptable to remove the limiter as long as there was about 400 miles on the clock(although,whether they would throw it back at you,if you had a problem,is another matter!).

202 bhp????

That must have been a very generous dyno ;)

Back