Blipper , Sticking gears in 2nd & 3rd intermittent issue

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vengeance

Reaction score
Guys

I have had some intermittent issues with sticking gears in 2nd & 3rd when downshifting,

This sticking gear sensation can happen intermittently & when it does its almost feels like the gears are stuck solid.

I have been to the dealer & asked them to look at it but so far they are not able to recreate the issue i have on a test ride.

Anyone had a similar issue as described above with sticking gears using the blipper on the downshift.

I will book it in again under warranty as i really want to know why this is happening.

Cheers

Make sure you have the throttle closed and you're releasing the gear lever between shifts.

Reposition the lever if you find you have an issue lifting the foot between shifts.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Nope I am not using OE my RR is fitted with new M part rear sets .

Thanks for the reply & friendly advice , I can confirm that I am using the throttle correctly & is closed when shifting (had no issues on my other bikes which all have blippers & quick shifters). the ergonomics of the shift lever aren't the problem.

My thought's are to more of an mechanical/electronics issue that needs to be properly troubleshooted not just an 5 min test ride. ill book the bike in solely for this issue to be looked at in more depth.

assuming it works with a micro-switch same as gen3,i'd check that, that it's not closing slightly,maybe clutch lever is too slack

Yes, clutch lever microswitches must be ok, also the shift rod must be at 90 degrees to the selector (in whatever orientation it is).

You can get the adaption table wiped by GS911 or BMW and have the QS re learn the gears.

Nope I am not using OE my RR is fitted with new M part rear sets .

Might someone have moved the alignment of gearchange linkage mechanism when fitting the above? However, please ignore the following if you can get it to shift down into gear using the clutch.

Haynes Manual for a Gen 3 Gearchange lever and linkage/gearshift assist page 5.5 quotes "note the alignment of the line on the end of the gearchange shaft with the slit in the linkage arm clamp, then unscrew the clamp bolt and slide the arm off the shaft."

I had a similar problem on another bike, similar to the one you describe of the gears not going into gear on changing down the box across a couple of gears as I hadn't aligned everything correctly on the gear linkage after removal.

Read the quote a couple of times to understand what you are looking for and a quick visual check will show you whether they are aligned without removing anything to see it. - Also what Alex says about the 90 degree alignment too.

When I bought my Gen 3, I ended up having to retrain the shift assist because mine was a nightmare from new - there are threads on here on how to do that yourself. With care it can all be done within 30 minutes.

Last edited:
does it happen when you've been on a motorway run or the like? So basically like you've been in the same gear for a while? I've had a similar issue, just wasn't sure if it was me or not, its nothing mad just feels a bit void like you're not pressing it properly

Hi,do you still have this problem?
I have exactly the same problem with you!
Especially when I was in the racing track.
Please show me how to solve this problem.
Thank you so much!

Usual things to check.... check chain slack, clutch micro switches, throttles shut, retrain your gearbox, sifter rod angles as close as 90? to each other. There's been lots of threads on this in the Gen 3 forum and is applicable to the Gen 4. J

I've had what was originally the problem the other way round. When shifting up from 4 to 5 and 5 to 6 very occasionally there was a momentary dip in power - enough to unsettle the bike (and me!). BMW Pidcocks had it back and 're-set' the quick shifter. At the same time I had them fit the M sport rear sets. The shifter now very occasionally falters when changing up, but also at times is difficult to go down into 2nd and 1st! It feels solid and won't budge, until you prod it a number of times. They are having the bike back in to take a proper look. Its frustrating cos my gen3 was super slick.

Hi

This problem has now been fixed & no further issues, here is what the dealer did to resolve the intermitent issue as follows ,

The Main dealer reset the adaptation tables , in simple terms reset the electronics quickshifter & blipper.

Once reset the bike re learns the electronics for the quickshifter & blipper.

Since having the adaptation tables reset , I have had Zero issues.

Hope this helps anyone withy the same initial issue i had.

Hi

This problem has now been fixed & no further issues, here is what the dealer did to resolve the intermitent issue as follows ,

The Main dealer reset the adaptation tables , in simple terms reset the electronics quickshifter & blipper.

Once reset the bike re learns the electronics for the quickshifter & blipper.

Since having the adaptation tables reset , I have had Zero issues.

Hope this helps anyone withy the same initial issue i had.

Thank you so much!

Back