Lever Guard Recommendations

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the Evotech one, and if you have a Gen1/2/3 you don't need to sweat the clutch side because they don't make one. Why did I buy Evotech? tbh, I was buying some other stuff from them anyway and I just could be arsed thinking about it any more. That means I paid ?100. I know others are cheaper, but some of them only seem to suit dedicated track bikes - mine does road too. I am not sure how other manufacturers do it, but what I'd say about the Evotech is that it means that the inner screw, normally deeply recessed in the handle is now sitting flush with the edge of the bar end. It occurred to me that this means it's more exposed in a fall, which may be a minor irritation compared to other potential damage... just something to consider maybe.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether to leave it fitted to the bike, or only put it for trackdays. I believe you're meant to put them on with thread lock (?), which means it's a PITA to keep un/fitting it? Leaving on was roundly ridiculed by 44 Teeth in their weekly news last week (in amongst many other things). I had planned to leave it on, and I'm not taking it off just cos Al doesn't like it, but thought I'd ask... even tho' it looks like yours is a track bike Mark?

Last edited:
I bought the Evotech one, and if you have a Gen1/2/3 you don't need to sweat the clutch side because they don't make one. Why did I buy Evotech? tbh, I was buying some other stuff from them anyway and I just could be arsed thinking about it any more. That means I paid ?100. I know others are cheaper, but some of them only seem to suit dedicated track bikes - mine does road too. I am not sure how other manufacturers do it, but what I'd say about the Evotech is that it means that the inner screw, normally deeply recessed in the handle is now sitting flush with the edge of the bar end. It occurred to me that this means it's more exposed in a fall, which may be a minor irritation compared to other potential damage... just something to consider maybe.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether to leave it fitted to the bike, or only put it for trackdays. I believe you're meant to put them on with thread lock (?), which means it's a PITA to keep un/fitting it? Leaving on was roundly ridiculed by 44 Teeth in their weekly news last week (in amongst many other things). I had planned to leave it on, and I'm not taking it off just cos Al doesn't like it, but thought I'd ask... even tho' it looks like yours is a track bike Mark?

Thanks for the reply Rick.

I use the bike on the road and track. Road fairings, then switch to track fairings on a track day.

I'd be inclined to leave it on all the time. We know that riding is inherently dangerous, so I guess the brake lever guard will help on the road (filtering etc) as well as being mandatory on the track now (well MSV tracks).

My crash bungs and tail tidy are Evotech. The quality is excellent and seems the logical choice, but I couldn't get my head around the price tag..........then again, you get what you pay for!

Last edited:
alpha Racing, GB Racing, GDH, TWM to name but a few.

Thanks for the reply RyS. The GDH looks nice.

Can't say I've ever taken the bar end off. Would I be right in saying the Gen 3 has an internal M12 fixing?

TWM also looks good, with the added bonus of the clutch side bar end.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what they do for road safety, they're just another thing to hit a wing mirror, or need replacing after an accident. In filtering the curve and reach of the guard extends past the bar ends, making it the widest part of the bike, so reduces the room available a little - even if this is more perceptual than real it will probably still affect the confidence of squeezing past traffic. The RR isn't a wide bike of course, but you can often get through gaps a GS/XR wouldn't dare to. I find filtering on the RR more jittery than other, more upright, bikes.

The Gen 2 has a T55 fitting, unsure of the screw dimensions. I was just glad I had a T55 in my tool chest...

Last edited:
I'm not sure what they do for road safety, they're just another thing to hit a wing mirror, or need replacing after an accident. In filtering the curve and reach of the guard extends past the bar ends, making it the widest part of the bike, so reduces the room available a little - even if this is more perceptual than real it will probably still affect the confidence of squeezing past traffic. The RR isn't a wide bike of course, but you can often get through gaps a GS/XR wouldn't dare to. I find filtering on the RR more jittery than other, more upright, bikes.

The Gen 2 has a T55 fitting, unsure of the screw dimensions. I was just glad I had a T55 in my tool chest...

Thanks Rick. I guess from a road perspective, if you strike a wing mirror with an un-guarded lever, then it'll push the brake on, with a lever you'd hope that a strike wouldn't engage the lever and subsequently the brake.

T55s a big old bit isn't it. Interested to know the bolt thread, eg M12. The GDH site basically says M12 for S1k. By that I assume that the internal fixings is M12 across the board.

Ive just fitted a Rizoma brake Guard. I debated to go cheap as the bike is tracked, and potentially another expense if the worst happened. But looks where a deciding factor.

Mine arrived yesterday...very well made and not expensive..think I paid under ?40.00 the pair.. picked up a lovely CNC Reservoir Cap for the MV too..
90f6046b5023bff5065ad41d56418f63.jpg
b6ac25c706cfdd818d7abcff21a8401d.jpg
bde2df45102b8c416d7b9848dc690b6e.jpg
0896646938226d3b35d942c1b4b7180e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Mine arrived yesterday...very well made and not expensive..think I paid under ?40.00 the pair.. picked up a lovely CNC Reservoir Cap for the MV too..
90f6046b5023bff5065ad41d56418f63.jpg
b6ac25c706cfdd818d7abcff21a8401d.jpg
bde2df45102b8c416d7b9848dc690b6e.jpg
0896646938226d3b35d942c1b4b7180e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Thanks Stuart. Have you got a link or can direct me to the website please?

Many thanks

Good old Aliexpress.... either real Carbon or Alloy, both are lovely.

Attachments

• IMG_4291D.jpeg
    IMG_4291D.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4294D.jpeg
    IMG_4294D.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 74
I wish to make a complaint!

Stuartb and JamieMac & HPlogger - I have just ordered the Alpha Racing brake guard - comes with two bar ends from Reactive Parts before I saw these three which you have posted. My complaint is you posted lovely pictures of your purchases which I would like to have considered prior to me placing my order!

Too many sweets in the sweetie shop to choose from....

Last edited:
Apologies for being a late responder, my reason is they only arrived last night [emoji2309]
The retail price for both HP guards is ?250
I got mine for ?155 they're brand new and the only thing is I suspect the dealer had opened the box = bargain [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Back