Front end rattle/vibration when cold

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupracing

Reaction score
My bike makes feels rattly over bumps at slow speed when first setting off. This goes away once the bike has had a good run and warmed up. I?ve read about the fork knock but this isn?t a knock but feels like something is loose. I only notice it as I have cobble like speed humps down my road. I?ve had a look and everything is tight. Anyone else?s do this?

Sounds to me like the fork unit, known problem. When riding mine over a gravel car park at low speed it rattled like mad. Once I got above 10mph it disappeared. It was worse in warm weather (remember that). I had my unit changed out by the dealer end of Nov so not had chance to test it fully yet.

Did your still do it when the bike had been ridden for a few miles? By cold I mean when the bike is cold not the ambient temperature

Covered under warranty. Contact your dealer straight away as it could take some time for delivery of parts. Lots of different posts on this. I has this issue and warranty claim.

Mine was worse when the ambient temp was up, probably due to the oil thinning, but that's a guess. I never noticed the rattle when the bike was delivered due to it being Nov and cold. Either way the rattle disappeared once you got above 10 mph. It made no difference how long I'd been riding the bike. If your bike rattles over cobbles and then the problem goes away it suggests something the bike is adjusting, not something that is mechanically loose i.e. the active damping.

I?ve got the first service on the 10th April so I will mention it. I?m not certain it is the forks as I?m sure that would be present all the time and being as mine is a latest 2021 model I suspect it would have been addressed

Have you got DDC? If yes, there is a problem with some fork units where the damping valve knocks or rattles over bumps, but it only does it at low speeds. Once above a set speed the active unit is using different damping characteristics so the rattle disappears. My mate has a 2021 model XR with exactly the same forks with exactly the same problem.

Yes I do, i will get bmw to check them out but I as it doesn?t do it all the time I suspect they will say there isn?t an issue

Latest posts

Back