Heated Grips

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellorp23

Reaction score
Well this is annoying. My HP4 has a quick action throttle but the heated grip system has been removed. As I want to ride it on the road, I'd rather like warm hands rather a QA system. Does anyone have a complete set for sale. I also need the part of the throttle cable assembly with the "heat" button on, above the "mode" switch

Thanks

Phil M

If all else fails on the BMW side I've just fitted Yamaha aftermarket heated grips on my MV... they are utterly superb, correctly set up, they are miles warmer than the OE on the HP4.. and no real need to fit an ugly relay as they have an auto off if drawing to much juice or you leave them on mistakenly when you park up... circa ?140.00

Operated from the LHS the microprocessor is built in to the grip end... really well designed product.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Anything I should know about removing the old grips and swapping on the Yamaha ones.... with how to stop the switch gear spinning round without the T8 bolt in place ?

i got a QA throttle, with renthal grips (think it was alpha racing) on gen1 and that came with a little bracket to replace the grip and hold the switch in place. only problem i'm looking at with the yam ones is it will stand the grip off the switch by about 10mm which won't look great. or i could try trimming the contol unit up from 7/8 or 22mm to about 32mm which not sure would be a great idea

No sure I know what you mean.. you won't need to touch the switchgear.. you wanting some pics of mine ?

Hang on, need to be careful I don't give you a bum steer here as I have only fitted them on my MV... that said I have replaced the grips on my HP with aftermarket (Grip Only) as the heating element is bonded into the throttle tube, if you have a Gen 3 it's different from 1/2. Both 1/2 I believe have the fine copper element wound round the tube/clutch side, the 3 is a more robust set up.

The Renthals on the HP are 120 mil in length reduced to 115mm (Fouling of the weights)

130s fit the MV perfectly, I trimmed a little off the ends just for the perfect fit and so the finished end didn't foul on my bar end/weight (Throttle Side)

So firstly the grip length needed is 130 mil which I think the Yamahas are without checking.. Notice the RED box on the pic of my HP4.. I think there is something or other under my tape which I might take off if need be for a look, if so you might need to fashion that part of the new grip so it slides on OK.

If you want I can whip off the tape... nonetheless if your going to buy the Yam ones they will fit, might just need a mod here or there... send me a text and I'll whatsapp them to you, it would miles easier.. 07779 150 760.

Cheerz

the switch gear clips to the prong sticking out from the grip and the one bolt holds everything in place.
there is an aftermarket "bracket" you can get to replace the grip and hold the switch in place, but its maybe 10mm thick and forms a larger diameter ring next to the switchgear, so if you use normal grips they just go over it, but there might be some issues fitting the controller there, hence I haven't done it yet

I think it was alpha racing, i got it from park lane bmw 5 or 6 yrs ago as part of a quick action throttle conversion was about ?80 at the time for the throttle, bracket and renthal grips

Is yours a Gen 3 Mike ?.. strike that...Gen 1.. just checked your profile..

Last edited:
Gen1, will be interested to see how you get on with this, I think i might wait until the shops are open and can physically inspect some of this stuff, suppose could order it on sale or return, but don't like going to the post office.
in the meantime i've got some gerbing battery powered gloves which seem to do the job

Back